Thread: Uti?

Uti?

My 2 year old female cat has a UTI or something similar. She is peeing constantly but only a little comes out. She ate her dinner tonight and seems normal other then that. I'm calling the vet in the morning but wondering if it's safe to wait til morning? I had my other cat have the same problem but maybe worse and he was very sick looking, took him into emergency vet and was told he would have died if I left it til morning so I'm kinda paranoid about leaving it but don't have a lot of money ATM - a bunch of my rats got sick and passed and that was expensive and I still need meds for the survivors but I will do what's needed. Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen and waited and was fine. I know my other cat was ill for a couple days before I figured out something was actually wrong but I know more of what to look for now.

Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo

Blog Entries
    Wish I knew...SOMEONE her does though! They just haven't read this yet I'll bet. Sending huge healthy vibes.

There are several things it could be, if you can, save any "pee biscuits" from the litter box to take with you. That she is otherwise acting normally is good you can wait until morning.
    I've Been Frosted

It sounds like she could have a UTI. Peeing frequently and only small amounts is a classical sign, because she probably has the constant urge and discomfort. It shouldn't be a life-and-death situation, but she will need medical attention.
    Is your other kitty you had to take to the emergency vet a male? If yes, he probably had a urinary blockage and he would have died without intervention. Female cats don't get urinary blockages, so that should not be an issue.
    Good luck.

Yes the other one was a male and was blocked. I didn't know females didn't get blocked. I made her an appointment though so we will be going at lunch time.

So I found out that her UTI, or whatever it is, is likely caused by stress. The vet said her temp is normal and her heart and breathing sounded fine (infact her heart was slow for a cat at the vet apparently. Pixel just lazed on the table while we talked and relaxed lol) Anyway Pixel does not like my foster kittens. She always get very cranky when they are around. I made her an outdoor cat pen so she can get away but she gets cranky with my other cats that she normally gets along with.

So she suggested taking a break from fostering which I hate. I love fostering. Apparently a lot of fosters have had to step out too and is leaving them in a tight spot so I feel even worse but Pixel has to come first. I'm hoping it's maybe something else but she does clearly hate the kittens.

Awww, okay! Yeah, it's probably best, hard as it will be for you.
    I've Been Frosted

Hi Sowa. My cat Oscar is prone to "idiopathic cystitis". He gets UTIs when stressed although there is more inflammation and blood than crystals.

He usually naps and sleeps in my bedroom so I put a Feliway diffuser in there and he's had no problems! I used to also get him a really stretchy collar and gently squirt Feliway into the collar.

Just something to maybe consider when you foster again.

HUGS.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda