Thread: A case of the derps.

A case of the derps.

I was sitting in the office, entering my exams for the day into the computer, when a call came over the radio asking for a kitten manager. That call usually means that a kitten has arrived at the shelter so sick or injured that the intake staff feel that immediate euthanasia would be the kindest solution. The person they called was not in, so I rushed over to intake and was handed a kitten and told something about possible head trauma.

What I found was a perfectly healthy kitten with microphthalmia (AKA a tiny eyeball) on one side and a VERY shortened jaw which is also very crooked. Her little tongue pokes out a little bit at all times because of her short jaw. She's going ot need some serious dental work before she's adoptable as one of her lower teeth bumps the roof of her mouth when her mouth is closed, but otherwise...she's fat, sassy, playful, and was DELIGHTED to be indoors with people cuddling her.

I can definitely see how a non-medical person might think head trauma at first, as her head is a bit....lopsided. Lucky for her, she's just a special girl who landed in the right shelter! I'm going on vacation tomorrow and I'm honestly a little sad that I won't get to watch her blossom over the next few days.

Aww, I am sure she will steal someone's heart!
    I've Been Frosted

OOoooohhhh... she's precious!

Thank you and your shelter SO MUCH for saving her! God bless you and her and all concerned.

Last edited by phesina; 06-16-2017 at 10:52 AM.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Aww, such a little sweetie! If someone abandoned her, I can't put in writing what I think about them. It looks like she has some skin problems also.

I hope she will find a very loving home and be okay! Give her some kisses for me, please!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I think she's one of the many stray kittens around this time of year, we took in 609 kittens last month and they're not slowing down yet!

As for her skin, I think what's happened is that her teeny jaw makes it hard for her to groom properly. She'll probably need a few extra baths throughout her life.

I'm leaving on a 5 day trip today but I'll try and get an update on her when I get back!

I will say a big prayer for this tiny kitten! I am glad she's safely indoors, and I'm glad she was okay being cuddled!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

What a precious baby! I always had a soft spot for special needs kitties.
    She is special, and a special person will come along, and give her the forever home she so much deserves.

Blog Entries
    So glad she was rescued! I hope the perfect person will find her and adopt her, give her a great life. She is adorable! Just needs lotsa help is all!