I was sitting in the office, entering my exams for the day into the computer, when a call came over the radio asking for a kitten manager. That call usually means that a kitten has arrived at the shelter so sick or injured that the intake staff feel that immediate euthanasia would be the kindest solution. The person they called was not in, so I rushed over to intake and was handed a kitten and told something about possible head trauma.

What I found was a perfectly healthy kitten with microphthalmia (AKA a tiny eyeball) on one side and a VERY shortened jaw which is also very crooked. Her little tongue pokes out a little bit at all times because of her short jaw. She's going ot need some serious dental work before she's adoptable as one of her lower teeth bumps the roof of her mouth when her mouth is closed, but otherwise...she's fat, sassy, playful, and was DELIGHTED to be indoors with people cuddling her.

I can definitely see how a non-medical person might think head trauma at first, as her head is a bit....lopsided. Lucky for her, she's just a special girl who landed in the right shelter! I'm going on vacation tomorrow and I'm honestly a little sad that I won't get to watch her blossom over the next few days.