Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Puma sneezes too much

Originally posted by Cataholic
    Wayne,
    Thank you for SO NICELY EXPLAINING what the hygrometer is...too bad other meanies (Jen) aren't sooo nice to me....good thing she lives way up there in snowville, or 'else'...
    are you going to leave now because I was so mean to you????

Wayne, if your hygrometer is reading 40% that should be adequate. I recently went through this all at work because of my allergies and I read somewhere that anything under 20% you should get a humidifier because it can be bad for you (especially if you have allergies, and this is how I convinced the boss to buy me a humidifier for the office), and anything between 35% and 50% is considered adequate. You don't want it more than 50% because then it gets into the "too humid" dept.

Now if we could just get the one at home fixed I'd be in heaven. I've also noticed now that we have the heat on more often that Tubby & Peanut sneeze more often too (just like their mom, how sweet ) and I know that it's just because it's dry. Terry just keeps putting off calling someone on it because he's not bothered by allergies....so it looks like I'll have to make the call.

Hope this helps for those of you who don't live in "snowville" and are hygrometer challenged. (jk)
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

3. I too have allergies. We have a humidifier on the furnace BUT we have a programmable thermostat and drop the temp during the day and at night for sleeping. Consequently, it does run enough to really help me.

I bought a room humidifier for the bedroom -- at an estate sale for $10.00. It makes a WORLD of difference. We keep the humidity around 45%.

BTW -- it wasn't working well at the beginning of this winter season. Finally checked the filter and it was COVERED in gray and white fur. New filter and voila!

Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
    BTW -- it wasn't working well at the beginning of this winter season. Finally checked the filter and it was COVERED in gray and white fur. New filter and voila!
    Hmmm.....wonder how that got there......
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

There are several ways to humidify the house. One, is to buy a humidifier. Another is to boil a pot of water on the cookstove, and still another is to hang up wet laundry or a blanket, used for humidification purposes, in the house and turn on a box fan on it to dry it out. Also, when I mop the hard-wood floors in this house, the humidity goes up, due to evaporation of the wet floors. When the air is more humid in the house, it takes less heat to warm up the interior. I remember in Tucson, Ariz., when I lived there, the humidity could be as low as 10% or 7%. Any heat that was placed in the house would immeidately dissipate and wouldn't stay in the air.

Puma's sniffles has stopped. I have been waiting for her to get rid of the URI, in order to get her spayed. I took in Puma for spaying yesterday. She was going into "heat" and Happy who is also un-neutered was getting rough with her. I'll have to take in Happy next for neutering. Possibly today or Monday. When I took her in to the vets office, I noticed that whe was digging at her right ear and then shaking her head. I attribute this flare-up due to the cold weather that she was exposed to while traveling to the vets office. At any rate, the receptionist said they would check this out also.

...........wayne
    Last edited by wayne0214; 01-10-2003 at 04:06 AM.

Forced-air heat is extremely dry. One trick I used to use in the dorm at college was fill soda cans with water and put them on the heater. (Poor college student couldn't afford a humidifier, and there was no room in the dorm anyway!)

wayne
    maybe the cold makes her sneeze? I don't know, but it seems like when it is cold, I sneeze sometimes
    anyway, how is kitty? maybe it is upper respiratory infection?
    Faith in God

Mary, Puma is almost over her sneezing and URI. I brought her home Friday from the vets' (for spaying). She developed a stuffy nose again while in their care. I remember when they placed her back into my carrier, that she sounded like she was snoring, while trying to breathe. They gave me some kind of yellow stuff for her, something like Clavamox, and some terramiacin-type stuff for her eyes. But after getting her home her breathing began to clear up and her eyes stopped watering and oozing -without giving her any of the meds! She still sneezes once in a while, but nothing like it was when I first brought her home last month. (She is laying next to the keyboard while I'm typing this.) I have an open flame "log heater" which I place a box fan in front of in order to circulate the heat through the house. I am beginning to wonder if running the inside air through the fire is cleaning out the bacteria, or whatever is causing her sniffles.
    Both of the vet's assistants kept telling me how much of a little "sweetheart" she is -which I already knew.

........wayne
    Last edited by wayne0214; 01-12-2003 at 05:58 AM.

Maybe she doesn't take well to stress. It would have been stressful when you first brought her home and it certainly would be stressful to be at the vet's. What do you think? Stress induced?

Jen, what you said about stress has certainly crossed my mind. She was sniffling when I brought her home from the shelter, and her sneezing and watery eyes continued for about a week, then all of it began to clear up, just as it is now. What I was curious about was if there is something in the vets' office and in the shelter that is infecting the cats? Although they keep the places heated, I'm sure that it is not an open flame heater such as I have, and I am reasonably sure that they do not run the inside air through it. Chris cat had the same URI-type ailment when I first brought him home also.

Well, like I said before, URI is VERY VERY common in cats coming from the shelter, as a matter of fact, almost inevitable. But to get one at the vet's office is much more rare. Especially since they are there for such a short time. That is why I thought stress might be playing a role in it.

sneezing !

Oh , NOW I understand why my Inka sneezes sometimes , without being sick at all . I 've never thought it could be because of the central heating system ...!
    Good on you Wayne to explain how a humidifier works ! I will go and buy one ASAP !!

lut, as humid as it is in Belgium, wouldn't be just as easy to open the doors or windows for a few minutes, to let in the humidity? Or perhaps it is too cold for that. When I come in from grocery shopping, sometimes, I will open up the house with fans in the windows when the inside air, smells of cooking odors and the like, although it might be in the 30s' F (0 to 5 deg C) outside.
    Last edited by wayne0214; 01-13-2003 at 05:57 AM.