Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
HIPPA makes any employer reporting impossible, and needs to change.

HIPPA was well intentioned, but makes things a nightmare. I can't check on an insurance bill for my wife or children. Mental health records in particular are sacrosanct, while they should be part of a screening for many jobs, not just transportation.

Using celebrity health record snooping as an example is something of a red herring, that's going to happen regardless. It's human nature. Celebrity comes with a price. As to online med records access? They can be made incredibly secure, actually more secure than paper, because you can't just walk over to the file stack to look.
Understood.

Sharing PWs is still a problem, so are people who walk away from a hot terminal. Lost PDA's and docs who give a PW to a nurse were something that our work groups looked at - more common that you'd expect.

One interesting thing that I read about 'secure' EMRs was the line that went something, 'Now, from the comfort of my couch, I can access information that I used to have to rummage thru a records room to get....'

The 'latest' online EMR scam are hackers that are taking info and using it to bill medicare for meds and equipment.......