Thread: Is it just me?

Blog Entries

Is it just me?

I am just so sick of the commercials that are on the air regaurding abused and neglected animals. I have to leave the room or quickly change the channel beacause they show such graphic, horrific images. I find it SO sad and depressing it almost makes me physically ill. I am all for information on how to help financially and any kind of help I or my family can give, but I wonder...has anyone on Pet talk been moved to donate any $ to these organisations because of these commercialsWould it not be far more effective to simply show a before and after picture of how our financial support can help these poor animals and exactly where the $ goes instead of exploiting their suffering and spreading dread... it`s just so freaking sad and dreadful to me and I think it might be ineffective as well. Just sayin`I tink they could raise more money for the cats and dogs if people could actually watch the commercials, I certainly can`t

Quote Originally Posted by mon View Post
    I am just so sick of the commercials that are on the air regaurding abused and neglected animals. I have to leave the room or quickly change the channel beacause they show such graphic, horrific images. I find it SO sad and depressing it almost makes me physically ill. I am all for information on how to help financially and any kind of help I or my family can give, but I wonder...has anyone on Pet talk been moved to donate any $ to these organisations because of these commercialsWould it not be far more effective to simply show a before and after picture of how our financial support can help these poor animals and exactly where the $ goes instead of exploiting their suffering and spreading dread... it`s just so freaking sad and dreadful to me and I think it might be ineffective as well. Just sayin`I tink they could raise more money for the cats and dogs if people could actually watch the commercials, I certainly can`t
    I immediately hit mute, hit the skip button or change the channel - particularly because those commercials cost big money to produce, and that is money that could have been spent haloing animals in the first place! Many of the organizations behind them also have dubious track records when it comes to how much of any dollar you give actually goes to help animals.

However, happy animal commercials, like this one, I will pause and rewind to watch!
    I've Been Frosted

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    You're not alone. We were just talking about this at work a while back. All of us at the table said that either change the channel or walk off until the commercial is over.

A co-worker said that he can't even listen to Sarah McLachlan anymore because of her commercial. As soon as he hears the music start, he has to turn the channel.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

You're far from alone, and ditto to Karen's comments about the legitimacy of the "charities" involved.

The commercials are expensive, airtime is expensive, and executive salaries are expensive....

So we have to run more commercials to get more donations so we can pay the executives to produce the commercials.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

If I even hear that song, I get tears in my eyes. I will change the channel, or mute it and not look at the TV. Usually I never watch live TV anyway, so I skip over commercials in general.

No, I've never donated because of those commercials. I donate my time to the local shelter (and have for 7 years now). That is my contribution to help animals. And I've donated a few times here on Pet Talk in the past to help animals in need.

I am sure anyone here on Pet Talk feels the same way as all of us that posted here so far.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I don't know if they send these over here, because I never watch commercials. If I had some money to spare, I would certainly look into various sanctuaries and shelters and send some help.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I don't get any of these charities (ASPCA, HSUS, WWP, etc.) who not only have commercials, but give you a gift for donating. It is one thing to have a raffle with prizes (time-honored fundraiser) but just give a gift outright?

A lot of these charities get a mark of C or less on Charity Navigator, BTW.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I'm a mute person. Of course, I mute everything but the show, but even more quickly. I also disagree strongly with the use of donations for these expensive promotions. Do your homework and check out their spending; then donate to your local shelter.