Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breed for a small house

I definately don't recommend a Toy Fox Terrier. Perfect size, but too hyperactive. Min Pins are active as well as Jack Russells. If you want a less active dog, I suggest a chi (the obvious hands down winner), a poodle, even a yorkie, or even some great danes and other large breeds need very little room and are couch potatoes. Also keep in mind that ALL puppies are VERY active and some breeds will outgrow it and some won't. Research very carefully, I didn't, and while I wouldn't trade my Toy Fox for anything, it was a MAJOR adjustment when we got him and it's still difficult sometimes.
    Let us know who you adopt!

sooooooooooooooooooo.............................. . what have u decided on? keep us posted!

~ Jess ~

I decided to wait until after Christmas to adopt a dog, but I heard they don't let students adopt any dog at all

Does this mean you are living in school housing?

No, I live in a house. But I'm a student so I spend a lot of time not in the house.

I have a pug, and I think they are ideal apartment/small house dogs. They do sleep a lot, and aren't what I would call a hyper dog. Also they aren't the kind of dog that needs to have hour long walks each night.
    My dog Pugsley lived in an apartment for the first 3 years we had her, and she was fine. She hardly ever barks, so that is a plus if you have neighbours very close by.

Most people would say small dog but alot of the small breeds, Chiahuahua, Yorkies, Poodles, are hyper active unless they are older. I was having this conversation with a woman the other day but I can't remember what breed it was. It was actually a big dog and was perfect as long as you walked it alot.

Cisco is a chihuahua and is not hyper active!

BTW- welcome to Pet Talk!
    Chihuahua Lover
    Don't Litter Spay&Neuter

How do I love thee? The ways are numberless as the hairs on the rug!

Shih tzus are great for small homes. They are very active and playful while you are there, but total couch potatoes when you go away. Mine do bark when they see people outside. This could be a problem for some people. I solved that by keeping the mini blinds so it lets in light but they don't see outside too much. In the summer they bark at the very noisy neigbor kids--but these kids are so loud I want to fuss at them too!
    Even if you can't get your dog yet, spend time deciding what is the right one for you. When the right one comes along, you will know it if you have done your research.

Cisco.....Hi Sorry

Cisco, Hi......Sorry just got back to this site after sorting out my favourites and cutting back by at least two thirds. Just found your message from December, Sully, Fynn and Rosie are fine, poor Penny is suffering from water on her lungs amongst other things... and i agree with your other message chihuahuas are not hyper, mine are usually asleep most of day.

Hi. I live in a townhouse and I have 6 dogs, 5 of them small, 20 pounds. Boston Terriers are an ideal breed for a small house and garden since they do not require much in the way of exercise. I have 4, and just got an English Bulldog puppy, another breed that requires very little exercise. Any small breed, terrier or non-terrier dog would be good. I love Bostons because they are naturally obedient, wonderful watchdogs without being at all yappy, and love everyone.