Thread: Dog behaivor

Dog behaivor

This is my first time being able to post a message. My name is Nancy and I am desperately trying to figure out how to get my dog used to using his dog door again. He is 9 years old and has been using one ever since he was a puppy. I think he shocked his nose going out the door and now he is freaked out to go out or come in by himself. He will go in and out when I ask him to and I have been giving him treats to reward him for doing so but he is still very reluctant to go out himself.
    Also I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced their being comfortable and then all of the sudden jumping up for no apparent reason. He does not have fleas and there has been no loud noises to prompt this behavior.

Have there been any changes to the back yard since this started? Any new noises or things out there? Can you put treats on the other side, so going through is always a positive experience for a while?
    I've Been Frosted

I don't have any suggestions on the dog door situation, since my Aussie would never use it either.

But the part about jumping up for no reason. My Aussie did this too. I wonder if it's a muscle spasm or something. Since your dog is 9 years old, and that's how old my girl was too. That is considered senior in dog years. I also used to wonder if she heard something we didn't. You never know. Is he asleep or awake when it happens? Zoee did it at both times, awake or asleep.
    Of course she would spook herself when she passed gas!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Another idea - how are his eyes? Have they been checked lately? Is the doggie door maybe harder for him to see now? What color is it, and what color is the door itself?
    I've Been Frosted

Thanks Karen for trying to help.
    Nothing has happened that I know of and I thought the same thing about his eyes, they look fine. But I did check to see if they sold clear flaps for the dog door and they do not.
    I really think he is afraid of going out and coming in because of the static electricity that shocked his nose. I will just keep rewarding him for going through the door and hopefully in time he will get over it.

Thanks Taz_Zoee for trying to help.
    Yes he has done this asleep and awake. I took him to the vet and they expressed his anal glands. I had done some research on the internet and that could be one thing that is irritating him.
    We will see.

You're welcome. Try putting a colored or dark (or white if the door is dark) sticker in the center of the door, just in case he's having eye issues, can't hurt!
    I've Been Frosted