Thread: biting cat

biting cat

we have a beautiful cat less than two years old, but he bites all the time. he doesn't want you to touch him and if he can slip up on you he will bite you really hard. we have never had a cat like this. they have all been very loving. anyone have any ideas.

How long have you had him? Where did you get him from? Does he get regular exercise, like toys he can pounce on, or "hunt" like the fishing pole type toys? Did this just start? Any recent changes in the house hold?
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    How long have you had him? Where did you get him from? Does he get regular exercise, like toys he can pounce on, or "hunt" like the fishing pole type toys? Did this just start? Any recent changes in the house hold?
    we have had him since he was six weeks old.we got him from the animal shelter. yes he gets played with all the time. he has a fishing pole with a mouse that squils. he kills that mouse he started biting since we got him.

Quote Originally Posted by seniorsgal View Post
    we have had him since he was six weeks old.we got him from the animal shelter. yes he gets played with all the time. he has a fishing pole with a mouse that squils. he kills that mouse he started biting since we got him.
    Sounds like he never learned that biting is unwelcome when he was a kitten - I am surprised the shelter let him go at that age, as usually kittens should stay with their mother and sibling for 8-12 weeks, as that's when they learn important socialization skills. Maybe he needs a lot more exercise, will he go for walks on a harness and leash? He sounds like he is biting out of boredom, and as a young cat, he's got energy to spare! ping pong balls in the bathtub sometimes help wear a kitty out ... is there a particular time of day he does the biting?
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by seniorsgal View Post
    we have a beautiful cat less than two years old, but he bites all the time. he doesn't want you to touch him and if he can slip up on you he will bite you really hard. we have never had a cat like this. they have all been very loving. anyone have any ideas.
    Mr Spunky is the same way. He was separated from his dam before 6 weeks (not my choice - and I rescued him from another rescuer). He has lots of energy and has always been a biter.

Now at 13 years, he has plenty of trees and toys (I now have 5 cats). And he insists that I play with him with the toys. He still bites some, but he calmed downed his second year.

The biting is his way to get your attention. He has confused you with a cat. If he bites you, put him down. and say "No".

Try to get a tree that has sisal rope on it or at least get a cat scratcher of some kind. Watch the sales. I always get mine at 50% off.

I encourage Spunky to find other ways to get my attention. I even ask him if he wants to play. "Play?" he knows what the word means.

Spunky wasn't cuddly at first either, and now he's a regular lovebug.

I hope this helps.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Blog Entries
    He might need a vet check. We had a really violent cat, turned out he had a genetic heart condition. We had Shadow Man for 10 yrs. but he was one violent dude. We just thought he was really cranky for the 1st couple yrs. Actually, he really kept us on our toes. He'd come outta nowhere and attack with savage glee. We will always miss him, the savage maniac

Blog Entries
    Well we just realised that Lily stopped biting! It was a gradual thing and we never thought she would quit but... hallelujah! She stopped gradually around 11 to 15 months. She is turning out to be the sweetest cat. Still a maniac and tortures her big sister but they have worked that out in a cat way.

That's great!