Thread: Fisters' Journey - Nocturnal Antics

Fisters' Journey - Nocturnal Antics

Fisters’ Journey -
    Nocturnal Antics and Waking the Dead

Way back at the beginning of time, when Fister was a timid, nervous little fellow, our bed must have seemed to him as a daunting obstacle to surmount. But now, 5 happy, well fed and contented years later, it is a somewhat different story!

His first cautious incursions onto the bed took place at the bottom by Randis’ feet, she being the shorter of us. After getting used to that for a while, he started to come further up the bed and lie full length between us, finally ending up stretched way out on his back leaning against my body and enjoying orgies of tummy rubs. He could stretch from my knee to my shoulder when he was feeling REALLY good! Later he got bolder and started wandering about on my stomach and chest. The next step was of course to sleep ON me, and now it is a nightly habit, he lies draped elegantly across my stomach without a worry in the world. (Except if I have the temerity to move - this is not appreciated at all, but he will just about accept it now).
    Then came the famous battle for the ultimate prize, Randis’ pillow. This has been well documented in “Battle of the Bed”, and nothing much has changed since. He lays curled up between our pillows every night now, often not leaving before the early morning light. He has perhaps gained another 10 cm of Randis pillow, but the situation there has now more or less stabilized.
    The problem that has turned up since then is, that he considers this the ideal spot for a bit of serious washing and tidying up. This is most annoying, especially in the middle of the night, since he is a very NOISY and slurpy washer, and VERY thorough.

I don’t need this right next to my ear thank you very much!

If he’s in the middle of an important wash, there is practically nothing that can pursuade him to decease. Beat him over the head, push him, growl at him - no reaction. If we put our hand over him he will pause momentarily, then just continue washing in another spot. If we repeat this, he just continues to wash our hand instead. This is amazing since he is usally so timid. Even hissing at him, which worked in the beginning, doesn’t have much effect nowadays. He just looks disdainfully down his nose at you as if you are seriously deranged and in need of acute psychiatric help.

Oh-oh, busted again!

“Waking the Dead”
    The actual domination of the physical territory was one thing, but he had another campaign running parallel to this concerning my sleeping habits. Fister, like most cats is the posesser of a merciless routine instinct, and anything that interferes with this is difficult for him to tolerate. If he wanted to get up early in the morning, why shouldn’t we also be woken? This lead to the “Waking the Dead” campaign.
    Randi usually gets up before me in the morning, turning back her duvet leaving a large inviting space behind me. But this was not the route he chose for his first assault. I usually lie on my left side with my face pointing out of bed, with a space of about 5 cm between my nose and the edge of the bed. Fister decided that this was an excellent spot to hop up to and say good morning from. Unfortunately for him, suddenly receiving over 7 1/2 kilos of cat and two furry legs right in my face produced unexpected reactions, and after a few ungainly trips to the floor on his rump and receiving a dose of explosive verbal abuse, he realised that this was not the best way to tackle the problem. So he decided to be a bit more devious, and started creeping up on me from behind. Apparently he would first sit on the floor by the other side of the bed for a while, checking out the lay of the land and my apparent mood. Then he would hop carefully up, wander across the bed and stop just behind me.

Waiting for the right moment!

He would then wait for a while, stand up, and with his head above mine, bend down until his nose was about 2 cm from my ear and quietly say “MIAAW”. It is surprising how thunderingly loud a little sound can make when it’s right inside your ear. Although a very sweet and tender way of doing it, this also periodicaly provided unexpected, even violent reactions, until in the end I got used to it and learned to ignore it. So there he was back to square one again, I wouldn’t bow to his command! That did it. He then came up with the most fiendishly devilish plan imaginable to man or beast. I guarantee that this method would wake a Tibetan monk meditating! It requires that the subject is on his side sleeping peacefully and facing the cat. A small number of whiskers are then delicately inserted into the subjects nostril and simply wiggled about a bit. The result is always hugely amusing, and is an incredibly efficient way of converting a sleeping human being into a growling, writhing monster.

He he he!

Since these varied results were always so unpredictable, he has now changed his tactics completely. If you can’t beat them join them, as they say. His latest morning greeting is to scratch away at my duvet and stick his little bulldozer nose in and then come and have a nice little nap under the covers with me in the mornings!
    When I do eventually get up, he will lose all interest in me and go and lay on the other side of the bed for a serious snooze.

The whole point of the excercise was only to get me up, after all!

john
    Last edited by Randi; 12-22-2002 at 09:53 AM.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

ROTFL

OMG!! I about fell over laughing!!!! This would be a perfect example of "be careful what you wish for, you might get it"! You wanted a loving, attentive, cuddly house kitty, and - oh boy, have you got it! What WONDERFUL pictures and a great story. He's such a character!!
    The legend says that Mohammed adored cats. When one of them was sleeping on his sleeve and he had to go out, Mohammed supposedly cut off the sleeve so as not to disturb his pet.

A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast - Proverbs 12:10

How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven. - Robert A. Heinlein

What greater gift than the love of a cat? ~ Charles Dickens

There is, incidently, no way of talking about cats that enables one to come off as a sane person. - Dan Greenberg

If purring could be encapsulated, it'd be the most powerful anti-depressant on the market. ~Alexis F. Hope

Are fister and bastet related? I am beginning to wonder

*Laughs* thanks for the tail!
    "A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot seem to find tidbits on the floor."

OMG I Love the second pic!! I can just imagine those noises coming from that sandpaper tongue!!
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

Great story, gorgeous pics. Oh we can understand so well. Tigris (5,8 kg) sleeps between our pillows, too. He wants contact to us both. Siegmar accepts that, me usually, I turn on the other side because I do not want my nose in someone's furcoat and try to move away. Tigris then stretches to reach me, until I lay close to the rim, and Tigris long in the middle

John,
    That was hilarious! I was laughing by the second sentance...then, when I saw that Fister Grin! I couldn't help but laugh out loud. Thanks for another wonderful Fis-tail....
    Johanna

LOL!!!
    Fister did Leonardo teach you how to be a noisy bather? He does the same thing by my pillow guarenteed to make me nuts. He only stops if I open the jar of muscle rub I use for my arthritis. He hates the smell and leaves. That brings another problem though, Chester loves the smell and comes running. ARGGGGGHHHHH!!!
    I love your smiling picture too, you rascal you!

ROTFLOL!!! I'm afraid I was just laughing so loud that I offended my resident fur-masters. They've just exchanged disgusted looks and stalked out of the room. I really needed the laugh tonight. Thank you John, Randi, and most persistant Fister ... for again another wonderful story.
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

10. Dear Fister,

Allow me to suggest some further wake up methods. I have used these successfully, albeit short-term.

Have you ever noticed how people's eyeballs move under the eyelid when they are sleeping? It can be amusing to try and "catch" the moving eyeball.

Licking closed eyelids can also provoke interesting responses.

I do agree with you that the whisker tickle is an all time classic!

Merry Christmas Mr. Fister!

Edwina

Very amusing, as always.
    I loved the picture of Fister laughing. John, your stories are great!

Another wonderful tale from the Fister library!!
    Great story and wonderful pics!!!
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

Jonh, your account is amusing and so true of a pet cat. I particularly like the 1st picture of him looking over the bed. My Fawn does the same -as if to say, " Hmmmm, Let's look over the situation before I jump up., or, "how can I begin this scenario" or ,"can I jump up?" or , "OK, here i come!" any one of which is applicable.

I have noticed however, when they sleep with me that they will usually occupy the same place of the bed. Tiara, Amy, and Cookie, will sleep at the foot of the bed, while Blue-Czarina and Puma will sleep next to me on the rigtht side. Fawn, King Otis, and Tiger will be on the left side of me. As of late, Happy is joining the feline sleep-crew and he is usually located at the left side foot.

........wayne
    Last edited by wayne0214; 12-25-2002 at 05:19 AM.

LOL What a great funny story and great pics too. Storm and Sunny try to wake me up too but they haven't tried putting their whiskers up my nose yet.

Chris is beginning to lay in my bed after I bed down for the night and turns over on his back and wants tummy rubs, with all 4 paws up. He is the first furkid which I have, that does this. He is such a big baby, especially when watching TV, always cuddling and giving me head bumpies and kitty kisses! Also, he is the first furkid n my memory that loves to play with cat toys. (Now that I look back on my past menageries it is little wonder that I never purchased any toys for them). Yesterday, I bought them another "dingely bird" -one of those irridescent feather- type toys with a bell atttached, suspended on an elastic cord connected to an 18" pole. (After pulling the original shipping cardboard from the trash, it mentions no name for this toy.) He and Fawn constantly play with it.

...........wayne