Our german shepherd is 6 years old, and pees continuously on our barbecue. It is disgusting. We have a big yard (17,000 square feet) and he has free roam. He can, and does pee wherever he wants, but ever since we got this new barbecue (about 2 years ago) he has started peeing on the bbq and the walls of the house.

We have tried putting up obstacles, we would put filled water bottles all around it, so it was harder to access, that worked for about two days, then he just started peeing near it. We have tried washing it down with bleach water, spraying it with vinegar. I tried dumping water on him if I saw him do it, but he doesn't usually do it when we are around, so that seemed to be a punishment and non-productive, so I decided not to do it again.
We yell at him if we catch him in the act, but it doesn't seem to help.
We have no other animals (well we have chickens, but they have their own space, and I don't think he is marking territory for their sake), and the one cat who used to run the gauntlet across our yard got too close to getting caught by the dog, and has since changed his route.

He is a great dog, not very well trained, he only listens to me (and is very responsive), but otherwise is horrible on the leash, which I shamefully have never worked on, we don't do a lot of walks on the leash, as where we live there are more mountains, open fields and cows than their are people.

I would appreciate any suggestions that you may have, it is really gross and it stinks, and is definitely not sanitary, especially with two little kids running around.