Thread: My new fish tank :D

Hybrid View

My new fish tank :D

My old tank started to leak so I decided to upgrade from my 25 gal to a 45 gal bow My fish seem pleased with the extra space. It was a lot of work transferring the water from my old tank to the new one D:

I need to add more stuff to it, it looks pretty naked right now haha. I just took the stuff from the 25. Not sure what to do with all this space

Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo

Wow, looking good!
    I've Been Frosted

That is a gorgeous piece!

And, I think you have led lights on there?

I suggest now is the time to move to live plants. Get easy low tech stuff. That's what I have and it makes the maintenance much easier.

Here is what you need for ferts: all liquid stuff, you add it once a week:
    Seachem Flourish
    Seachem Flourish Excel
    Seachem Trace

One capful of each, once a week.

The plants:
    water wisteria (fast growing, you pinch off the top, stick that in the gravel and it reroots so now you have 2! Just keep multiplying it!)
    water sprite (similar to wisteria, but it floats)
    bacopa caroliniana - tall, good background plant
    cryptocoryne wendtti - comes in green and bronze, starts small so a foreground plant, as it grows move it to mid-tank. Will produce 'babies,' like a spider plant, just pinch and replant.
    And if you have the opportunity get a banana plant or 2 for the foreground.

You may be able to pick these up from hobbyists in your area, at a low price. Check on craigslist, attend a fish society meeting in your area.

The plants thrive on the stuff you normally have to remove by water changes, so you do less water changing over time.

Just some info to think on!

Yup I'm definitely adding more live plants. I have about 3-4 right now (most of them died or fell apart when I transferred to new tank) I have a couple fake ones for color. I also just found out about keeping plants alive, apparently the ones I had were more advanced plants and needed more care. We're getting a shipment of plants in at my work tomorrow so I'll have more to pick from. Though I only have the latin? name so I'm not sure what they are yet...

That is exciting! You will have to let me know what they are.

Wow, neat!! I'm always envious of people who can maintain lovely tanks...mine never flourished. Your fish look like they have a nice roomy home now!

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    I suggest now is the time to move to live plants. Get easy low tech stuff. That's what I have and it makes the maintenance much easier.

Here is what you need for ferts: all liquid stuff, you add it once a week:
    That's a really useful post! No place for a fish tank where we are now, but this will be good for future reference!
    I've Been Frosted

Thanks, Karen!

A few other easy plants:
    java moss
    java fern
    anubias

The intermediate and expert plants generally require that you use CO2 to dose them. That is too complicated for me!

Got some new plants! I'm trying the java fern and water wisteria. I have something else not sure what it's called. I think it's dying though....I put the flurish tabs and the liquid stuff in the tank to see if that helps any. Wish me luck.