Thread: NEW Scary news from the home front (see post 25)

Hybrid View

Prayers on the way for you and your kitties!
    I've Been Frosted

Ha, I'm back at another library branch, closer to my place.. Couldn't do without getting back on line.

Thank you, everyone, for the prayers and good wishes!

What I am most scared of is if they use this as an excuse to try to evict me. Even scarier if they should succeed. Where am I going to find a place for a 70-year-old woman with limited income and four cats?

The letter they sent me was marked "First Notice." Three notices, and you're out. Since the new manager has not called me yet as she promised three times, I'm thinking they're going to send me another one saying "Second Notice." But I responded to the "First Notice" in complete good faith (and huge expense), doing everything I could to attend to those matters as they were described to me both in the letter and then in response to my phone call.

If the whole carpet needs to be replaced, then it seems to me that's up to them, as I've been here twelve years and they haven't ever done it (or even let me know they could and would), even though they should every five years.

And thanks, Candace. I plan to research the legal aspects here thoroughly. I only just found out that the management is supposed to replace the carpet every five years a couple of months ago from a fellow tenant and catsitting client.

A good friend and neighbor in the same apartment complex has already been looking into things. She got her carpet cleaned (not replaced) by them for free .. after I told her about what my client told me. She's the one who told me the carpet replacement is state law. And while I have to get my small things out of the way, the management has to move the furniture.

She also said the University of Michigan Law School has a Seniors Legal Assistance clinic run by 3rd year students. I'm going to see if there are any actual lawyers out there who might help too.

Meanwhile I just talked with a friend who runs a low-cost spay-neuter service (katsnips.org). I've given her figurines and cat-themed items in the past for their fund-raising auctions. I offered her the zillions more figurines I have, since I'll need to get them out for carpet-changing, and anyway I'd like them to go where they'll help real cats and to others who will love them as I do. She said if I box them up, she'll store the boxes of ones I want to keep and keep the others for future sales.

So, first steps on all this. Tonight I'm having dinner with my friend who is looking into the legal aspects and being in my cheering section. I'll get the numbers she's found of people who can help.

Thanks for the good wishes and thoughts and prayers, dear friends!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Wow Pat - just what you don't need. You have enough on your plate right now with your upcoming surgery.

Sending positive thoughts your way for a successful resolution - both with management and your fur kids. Hang in there.....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Thanks, Ellie!

Yeah, that's the other thing.. I have this surgery scheduled!

I could postpone that again.. but there is a 12-week rehab and recovery period (no bending, no lifting over 5 lbs. for starters) after, and I need to get that done with before winter-weather starts. And I can't postpone it for another six months, because this could very well get much more painful over that long a time.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Thanks, Ellie!

Yeah, that's the other thing.. I have this surgery scheduled!

I could postpone that again.. but there is a 12-week rehab and recovery period (no bending, no lifting over 5 lbs. for starters) after, and I need to get that done with before winter-weather starts. And I can't postpone it for another six months, because this could very well get much more painful over that long a time.
    Pat - I think that you'll find that 12 week scenario, to be very overstated. I was pretty much back to my normal routine in 4 - 6 weeks. These doctors like to present the worst possibilities, but then greatly modify the whole thing when they see how well you are tolerating and recovering. Fingers and paws crossed for a "lighter sentence".
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Pat - I think that you'll find that 12 week scenario, to be very overstated. I was pretty much back to my normal routine in 4 - 6 weeks. These doctors like to present the worst possibilities, but then greatly modify the whole thing when they see how well you are tolerating and recovering. Fingers and paws crossed for a "lighter sentence".
    Thank you, Ellie. I know they state extremes here, to cover their behinds legally. I'm going to do the best I can to get back on my feet before that much time.

At this point I'm not thinking of postponing the surgery. The new manager was supposed to call me Friday afternoon with what they'd come up with.. she promised me three times that she would. And I never heard a peep.

I'm just in kind of a daze with all this right now!

Death thought about it.

Questions for the apt mgr.

1. When will the new carpeting be installed ?
    2. When will the WiFi be fixed & working?

Tell the Mgr. all the positive steps you've taken to eliminate any odors. Maybe a home camera setup to identify the kitty
    who uses the corner instead of the litter box, so you know who to work on. Good luck & I hope they will work with you on
    solving any problems.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    Questions for the apt mgr.

1. When will the new carpeting be installed ?
    2. When will the WiFi be fixed & working?

Tell the Mgr. all the positive steps you've taken to eliminate any odors. Maybe a home camera setup to identify the kitty
    who uses the corner instead of the litter box, so you know who to work on. Good luck & I hope they will work with you on
    solving any problems.
    Thanks, Liz. Carpet installation date needs to be worked out. They sent a letter a couple of months back saying free WiFi would be discontinued starting Aug. 31, but according to my calendar it's not that date yet. When I called the office I was referred to the technical company running it. My calls to them have not been returned. I should call the apartment-complex owner's office and make a big stink, YOU promised we would have this service until 8/31, so YOU get on to the techies and make it happen.. Or extend it this many days into September.

But I don't really want to make a big noise about this right while all the apartment stuff is going on.

Yes, I've taken huge steps at great expense to deal with the issues they informed me about.

Thanks for the good wishes!

Death thought about it.