View Poll Results: do you feed your dog people food?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes but not offen.

19 63.33%
  • yes but only when he/she behaves.

4 13.33%
  • no i don't he/she is a dog not human

5 16.67%
  • not sure.

2 6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do you feed your dog people food

do you feed your dog people food

hey,

i am just curious how many of you feed your dog left overs?and do you think its safe?

marylyn
    my name is marylyn i'm 23. i have a yorkie named truffles.scarlett a red toy poodle is now w/ a new owner and i'm hoping is very happy there,i miss her dearly.my first dog was a black toy poodle he passed away a few years ago and i miss him so much.i love all animals ,but grew up w/ dogs.

Bella gets several slices of my hubby's apple each day (that's what he eats for breakfast ). She also get a few slices of my banana in the morning. I use carrots for treats alternately with her doggie treats. Oh and occasionally when we have pizza she will get a crust or two to nibble on. Other than that, it's strictly dog food for my girl.

we've decided to not give mickey any people food (like, meat and stuff) but we have given him some cheese. i plan to put apples and little fruits in his kong when he gets more teeth

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

I exetreme dislike see any animals eating human food, it just is one of my pet peeves... Due to the experiences of my friends'...got killed, had to remove stomach, vomits, and all..I wouldn't want to take this risk on my pets..or anyone else's. I know there are some dogs who can survive human's food...But that's why Dog Food was invented!
    rest and sleep softly sweet locke..

I don't feed my dog people food (often) because she has a sencitive stomache, but I do think it is ok for some dogs to eat people food. But every once and a while we give her some left overs, her tummy is more stronger because she is older.

Originally posted by Gina's Ark Inc.
    I exetreme dislike see any animals eating human food, it just is one of my pet peeves... Due to the experiences of my friends'...got killed, had to remove stomach, vomits, and all..I wouldn't want to take this risk on my pets..or anyone else's. I know there are some dogs who can survive human's food...But that's why Dog Food was invented!
    I agree
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

Besides peanut butter, apples, and other fruits, nope!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

timber is fed on a full diet of ppl food
    i dont like dog food (except leathers) cuz it is made up of the meat and grain that didnt pass the exam for human consumption...so in other words, they r eating rotten stuff....
    Ann M. Martin is an author and she explains in her book that there are even zoo animals and other cats or dogs in dry food (i dont know if i belive this but it is enough to turn me off of the stuff)
    Also, the main ingredient in most dog foods is corn flour...corn flour is horrible for dogs...it causes them to get fat and most dogs are allergic to it...
    there are too many chemical preservatives and by-products...
    most dog food contains chicken heads, chicken feet, fish heads, duck heads and feet, feathers, hide and intestines...
    everything listed here is associated with skin problems, allergies, dental diseases, poor health, and degenerative organ dysfunction...
    did u know that because of the crap that is found in alot of dog foods, that the average dog consumes 26 pounds of preservatives a year?
    I've been BOO'd!

Gina's Ark Inc.....what do you think is in dog food? Dog food is made from products that are also put into human food (well, maybe not the bi-products and crap that's in the cheap food). What happened to your friend's dog?

wolfsoul, you should read the ingredient labels on dog food. The ingredient that is the largest amount is first on the label. If you buy the higher quality food, it will not have corn flour as the first ingredient (or even *as* an ingredient in some cases) and not all dog foods contain bi-products.

Probably the best dog food you can get is California Natural/Innova..I think. I haven't tried it personally, as there's no places close enough that sell it. I feed Nebo Nutro Natural Choice...which has meat as the first ingredient, and doesn't contain bi-products. He has a gorgeous, healthy coat, is not over-weight, and is in good health.

There are many people who feed their dogs a full diet of people food, but you have to be careful that your dog gets the right nutrients, etc. It's not something I have the time or money to do for my dog at this time.

I don't think feeding small amounts of people food is bad. I think actually, if you fed your dog a small piece of chicken vs. some processed dog treat, it'd be much healthier for the dog. Nebo gets only tiny bits and tastes of human food as a treat...such as veggies, fruit, meat, cheese, etc. Obviously, there's many "human foods" that dogs should not eat at all (chocolate, raisins, etc.)

We feed out dogs people food. We don't give them "scraps" ie things that wewold not eat, but bites of our own dinner...we also use cheese, chicken and similar things for treats while training. You get a dog in a room with 10-15 other dogs and thing they want a bone? You have to something smellier and bettr to keep their attention, esp. as puppies.

I also feed my dogs "human' food inthe form of dog biscuit that I make myself, with ingredients like wheat flour, oatmeal, fruit, garlic, chesse, etc ( not all in the same bone). Doesn't have the artifical coloring/other additives dog trats have 9although they soemtimes get those too!)

There are some foods that are not good for dogs, onions, chocolate, grapes/raisins, but that does not make all "human" food bad.

Originally posted by wolf_Q

wolfsoul, you should read the ingredient labels on dog food. The ingredient that is the largest amount is first on the label. If you buy the higher quality food, it will not have corn flour as the first ingredient (or even *as* an ingredient in some cases) and not all dog foods contain bi-products.

i know that the first one listed means that there is more of that in it than anything else, but it doesnt matter to me, cuz timber doesnt get dogfood. my other dog leather does cuz shes at my dads house, but the food she gets is really good stuff (my other dogs get yucky dog food cuz the dont have allergies and cancer lik leather does)...doesnt have any corn flour and the only preservatives are vitamins c and e...i wrote about it in one of my other posts...ill copy it down here, its great stuff, it just costs so much and i still think the food i eat is better than any "dog food"

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by luckies4me
    Oh and dog food does not cost $60 dollars. If you can't afford a good brand of low protein/low fat kibble they need to have a good quality lab block.......or sorry to say this but I don't think your rats are leading a very healthy life. They are most likely missing out on a lot of nutrients they need as well as getting more than they need from a few.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

regular dog food doesnt cost that much...but this is specially formulated dog food made by pets first....it has no corn flour and are preserved naturally with vitamins C and E that do not have the adverse affects that can occur from synthetic preservatives...and after insistent research, they say it also doesnt cause allergic reactions in pets, so it is mostly used with pets that have allergy problems, like my dog leather. She also has cancer, so this food is really good for her, and im not lieing when i say it costs 60 dollars...all of their products match the standards of AAFCO, and contain no animal bi products...it has high digestibility and great palatability...the meat is human grade, so its pretty much what we eat every day...it has a perfect balance of omega protiens that keep the fur healthy and shiny...
    ooh! wait, i was just looking at the website and i see they lowered their price to 50 dollars! i belive it is a great deal for such great dog food that helped leather so much, even after her surgery. if u dont believe me, read it here:
    http://pets1st.ca/PF/Pets1st.asp?ProdId=501

if i HAD to give my dog any kind of dog food in the entire world, it would definatly be this kind, but i still like natural food better.
    I've been BOO'd!

I knew onions and chocolate. But why no grapes/raisins

I cooked for Tonee (RB) and Shep-ee (RB) the last part of their lives And they loved it. They ate yogert, noodles, rice, beef, chicken and veggies.

Ashlee and Nina eat carrots, bananas, apples and oops, grapes.

Money will buy a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Josh Billings

Originally posted by tomkatzid
    I knew onions and chocolate. But why no grapes/raisins

I cooked for Tonee (RB) and Shep-ee (RB) the last part of their lives And they loved it. They ate yogert, noodles, rice, beef, chicken and veggies.

Ashlee and Nina eat carrots, bananas, apples and oops, grapes.
    grapes and raisins are only toxic when eaten in large quantities, and ive even read about vets giving their dogs grapes, so i dont believe that its something to worry about if youve given ur dogs some grapes b4...
    grapes cause gastrointestinal symptom, like vomiting and diahhrea and signs of kidney failure..
    i read that grapes are healthy as long as they r part of a balanced diet? a vet said this but i dont know if that is true
    i also read that a dog needs to eat 2 pounds of grapes for them to be fatal...
    I've been BOO'd!

Wow, I found this on a search. So I think we will just stick to the other fruits and veggies.

Grape and raisin poisonings in Dogs

Recently, there was a letter in the AVMA Journal from Dr. Gwaltney-Brant and
    others at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center discussing grape and raisin
    poisoning in dogs. Apparently, grapes and raisins can be toxic to dogs when
    ingested in large quantities.

The grapes and raisins came from varied sources, including being eaten off
    the vine directly. The dogs exhibited gastrointestinal signs including
    vomiting and diarrhea and then signs of kidney failure with an onset of
    severe kidney signs starting about 24 hours after ingestion of the grapes
    or raisins. The amount of grapes eaten varied between 9oz. and 2 lbs., which
    worked out to be between 0.41 and 1.1 oz/kg of body weight. Two dogs died
    directly from the toxicity, three were euthanized due to poor response to
    treatment and five dogs lived. Due to the severity of the signs and the
    potential for death, the veterinarians as the poison control center advocate
    aggressive treatment for any dogs suggested of ingesting excessive amounts of
    grapes or raisins, including inducing vomiting, stomach lavage (stomach pumping)
    and administration of activated charcoal, followed by intravenous fluid therapy
    for at least 48 hours or as indicated based on the results of blood tests for kidney
    damage.

I have fed my dogs a few grapes every now and then for years, so I don't think there
    is a need to panic if a dog eats three or four grapes but if the whole bunch is missing
    from the table one day, it would be good to think about watching for any signs of a
    toxic reaction.

Michael Richards, DVM
    6/5/2001

Money will buy a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Josh Billings

wow thats like what i read, only twisted to make grapes sound better lol
    I've been BOO'd!