Zeke, the cat, apparently had enough of being at a homeless animal shelter. The clever cat got on the phone and dialed 911.
According to ABC news, after 911 was dialed and no one responded to the dispatcher queries, the call was disconnected. But then the emergency worker called back to make sure there wasn’t a real problem.
“We just got a call at 911 from this phone. Does someone there have an emergency?”
“I don’t think so, let me check, this is Cat Depot,” said Lynn Rasys, an employee who had just returned from lunch.
Lynn proceeded to check with all of the shelter staff to see if someone was in need of emergency help.
But no one claimed to have dialed 911.
The staff was left scratching their heads.
Then one staff member noticed Lynn’s extension was lit, and thought it was odd since she knew Lynn wasn’t in the office. The staff member went to the office to investigate and there she found handsome Zeke lounging across the phone with the handset off the hook. He, of course, was blissfully unaware of the hubbub he had just caused.
That is when everything came together and they said ”oh my gosh, we think Zeke called 911.” Apparently, Zeke, like many cats, loves to amble across keyboards and other electronic devices – and this time he happened to dial 911.
But it is not the first time he has been mischievous with phone buttons. In the past he has hung up on callers and even dialed outside lines.
Zeke’s fancy paw work proved to be successful this time. His quirky story was reported on the local news and then nationally. Shortly thereafter a family came forward who realized Zeke was one special kitty and took him home.