Thread: Meet Huckleberry

Meet Huckleberry

So many years ago, I saw this episode of "Miracle Pets" and this elderly lady had an ACD, that she was extremely close to. Unfortunately she had to go to a nursing home, so one of her children took in the dog. Welp, not long after, the dog escaped, traveled many miles and managed to track down the elderly lady at the nursing home. They made him the nursing home mascot and he was able to stay with her. Story was like something right out of the pages of "Lassie, Come Home". I thought, "wow, what an awesome breed, I need one in my life". After some research though I came to my senses and decided that was way too much dog for me. Then Skidboot came along and I had a flare up again, but talked myself down from getting one.

About a year ago, I lost my beloved Smooth Collie, Gull. Most around here know how much I love Collies. So I've had my herding breed, but one more suitable to me I was thinking. I had planned to wait for the right Collie to come into rescue, but about a month after Gull passed away, I found myself at a nearby shelter to look at a cute puppy and came home with Kizzie, who is just the most awesomest dog ever. So 6 mos later, I decided to go back to the same shelter and check out a Tri-colored Collie mix dog.

The Collie mix pup didn't turn out to be the right fit for me, but in an enclosure near him, was what appeared to be a blue heeler (I'm sure he's a mix, but he looks close to a purebred heeler to me). I'll always be a big fan of blue colored dogs, because of Gull. So my eye kept being drawn over to that lil' blue heeler. I'm telling myself, nope you know that's too much dog for you, but he was really calm in his enclosure. I walked on though and tried out several different dogs, Golden Mix, Dobie Mix, etc, but my eye kept coming back to that lil' heeler. So I finally asked to see him. We got out into the yard and he was so much like Kizzie. Smart and playful and interactive and really friendly. Same exact size as Kizzie and same type of play style. I think that's what finally sold me was that he'd be perfect for Kizzie too. Brought him home that day and named him, Huckleberry.

Huckle's been a lil' more work than Kizzie. On the one hand he's a bit timid, so I had a lot of work to get him use to the house, to walking on a leash around the neighborhood and parks, to riding in the car, going to the vet and the list goes on. And on the other hand, he is the most physical, mouthy, stubborn dog I've had and I've had Terriers. Luckily he is very food motivated and I'm a very patient person and I've got Kizzie to help me. If she wasn't helping with some of the exercising and physical play, I think I'd be in deep dirt. He can get all that out of his system with her, so he doesn't need to use my arm as a chew toy and then our activities together can be more along the lines of walking/jogging/hiking and playing calmer games like Frisbee. So slowly but surely he's come around and is really blossoming now. Huckle's gotten so affectionate and our bond is now as deep as the one I have with Kizzie. Would he track me down at a nursing home if need be? He is my shadow, so who knows, he just might.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Huckle_Bluebonnets.gif 
Views:	64 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	58372 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Huckle_Car.gif 
Views:	66 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	58373 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Huckle_Smile.gif 
Views:	61 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	58374 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140626_121906.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	58375 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	huck3.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	58377

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

What a cutie! So glad he is with you, and I definitely think Gull had some influence in making sure Huckleberry became your dog! Bless Kizzie for helping wear him out, too!

Welcome to Pet Talk, Huckleberry!
    I've Been Frosted

Hello Huckleberry, you're a nice looking dog. I hope you have many years together.

Hi, Kizzie and Huckle! I'm glad you are playmates and buddies!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Thx Karen! Huckle does so many things that remind me of Gull, I've half way convinced myself if reincarnation exists, then Gull's there inside of Huckle somehow. He's just so quirky like Gull. One of my friends says it connected to the blue color gene. Hah!

Thx kaycountry! He's such a sweetheart, I'm hoping for tons of years too.

Thx cassiesmom! Kizzie can be a lil' bossy with him (reminds me a lot of Murph and Maddie together), but overall she really does seem to love him. They can really play and not hold back, like she does with other dogs. And she doesn't have to be alone anymore, when I go to work. So I think it's worked out really well. <knock wood>

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

WOW!
    Handsome boy... I've always had a soft spot for heelers. Wishing you many years of happiness together!

-Amanda-
    Owned by...
    (Betta) Neptune
    (Bunny) Chester
    (Cats) Misty and Squeekers

*Pet Portraits*

Thx Manda!

Attaching a few more pics of my lil' boy:

Name:	IMG_20140408_145744.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	58422 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140529_135728 (1).jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	58419 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140721_135428.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	58420 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140721_135242.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	58421

I smiled to see the one of him amongst the bluebonnets! Do you get kicked out of Texas if you do not have at least one photo of your pet in the bluebonnets? Always wondered that!
    I've Been Frosted

Huckleberry is so adorable! Good to see Kizzie again! I bet they'll have a lot of fun together!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Oh most definitely Karen. It's in the True Texan handbook. Here's Kizzie's:

Name:	IMG_20140408_140732.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	58423

I didn't really get a good shot of her. She wasn't quite as cooperative. This was right near a busy highway. She was so impatient being in a "stay" for so long, that she finally decided that I'd had more than enough time to get a good pic. She launched herself at me as I was crouched down trying to take the pic and knocked me down. The two of us were rolling around in the bluebonnets, to the amusement of all the passerbys, I'm sure.

Thanks chocolatepuppy! Yep for the most part they get along really well. But Huckle is still somewhat puppish and annoying, so she has to tell him to knock it off more than once throughout the day. She loves to play, but sometimes she just likes to just chill.

Awww, Huckleberry and Kizzie! The pictures of you with the blue bonnets gave me a HUGE smile !
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Thx cassiesmom! They make me smile everyday. I have been very blessed in the doggie dept of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by ParNone View Post
    Oh most definitely Karen. It's in the True Texan handbook.
    I *knew* it! And I grinned picturing that scene with you guys rolling around in then bluebonnets!
    I've Been Frosted