Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Introducing Freya!

Introducing Freya!

Even though it's been only a few months since Malachi has left us, we felt the time was right to try an introduce a new friend for Phinehas since he's been super clingy. I just hope this new kitty adjusts and accepts Phinehas as I'm sure he'll accept her.

We went to Dayton yesterday to meet the new kitty at a cat show and bring her home. She's an oriental longhair who was retired and spayed late last year. She's four years old, so I'm hopeful she'll come out of her shell and help make Phinehas more active. She's still pretty scared, so I am keeping her in the "cat room" right now until she starts to feel a little more comfortable.

For people who have introduced cats, how often should I go in the room to visit with her? I don't want to frighten her, but I want her to get used to me as well. I have the pheromone plugins to help keep both kitties calm and I also have some calming spray as well which I spray a bit when I go into the room.

Here she is, still looking a bit scared:
    Name:  Freya.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  29.6 KB

Oh my goodness.. What a BEAUTY!!!

Welcome, Freya, to your new HOME!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Hello New Friend Freya , we are the Found Hotel Cats!!
    Be not afraid as you are in a very good place with a very good best friend. Congratulations Freya for winning your FurrEver Home!!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Freya is gorgeous, a beauty indeed!!!

She is a beauty! Welcome to a wonderful home Freya. Once you get comfortable you'll enjoy your new brother.

As for the question of how often to go visit her, I'm not an expert, but I'd say as often as you'd like. You know how to tell if she is stressed out or not liking the company. Just take it easy and read her signs. IMO I would think the more often you visit the faster she'll get used to you and become more comfortable.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Aww, I agree, as often as you can, and if you have some reading or something else you can bring in with you, that would be great, just being in there, spending time so she can get used to you, your scent, your voice ...
    I've Been Frosted

Hello, beautiful Freya! What a lovely lady you are! It is very nice to meet you today, welcome home and welcome to PT!

Hi, Phinehas, sweet boy! (((HUGS))) I hope you will have loads of fun with your new kitty-sister!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I think if you go in bearing offerings like treats, catnip or toys she'll warm up to you pretty quick! She's a beautiful cat.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Congrats!!! She sure is gorgeous. I would also try to just sit in the room as often as you can. If she likes catnip then maybe bring in some catnip toys or you can even get the catnip spray and spray it on toys or cat trees. Treats are also a great idea. Just take things slow and I'm sure that she'll become much more comfortable in her new home. Good luck with the introductions too and please post more pictures when you can.

I agree with the others - go into her room, sit down and read her a book, magazine, newspaper - whatever you're in the mood to read for yourself. She'll get used to your presence, and your voice.

Progress can be made with small steps

And she is gorgeous

Freya is stunning! I look forward to watching as she warms up and becomes a lovey cat!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

She is very very beautiful! Welcome home Freya!

Hello Pretty Girl, Welcome to your new home and PetTalk. I'm not an expert but I would spend as much time as possible with her. That's what I'm doing with my new kitten. Yes, as others have said, read to her, talk to her, call her by name, rub her, hold her, play with her, feed her and get her used to your voice and your smell. Go in her room often and stay as long as you can and just get comfy and enjoy each other.

Thanks everyone! Things actually are not going so well. The day I took the picture of her, was the only day I have even seen her. She has since taken to hiding behind the washer and dryer because I guess she discovered she could squeeze back there. I didn't think it was possible for anything to fit there, but apparently a cat can. I haven't had this happen with any of my other cats, so am a bit disappointed. I go into the room every day and leave treats and read to her. I don't know what else I can do, especially if I can't get her out to be petted but there's no hint of her coming out when anyone is in that room. I know she must come out when everyone is sleeping because her food and treats are gone and the litter box is used when I check in the morning. I did email her original cat mom who said that it may take awhile because she was born and lived with her for 4 years, so that's all she has known, so it's certainly an adjustment.
    Do cats that take to hiding eventually come out? I can't even reach back there to pull her out, so I don't know what else to do.

She will come out eventually, give it time - we have had several cat of the Day stories over the years that say sometimes it takes weeks, sometimes longer,m but when they do emerge, it is so worth the wait!
    I've Been Frosted