Quote Originally Posted by momoffuzzyfaces View Post
I was thinking of a laptop or notebook but know nothing about them. I want a computer that will last
Computers are really only good for 3 years, TOPS. Built in obsolesence. (Thank you, Microsoft). You will find a HUGE improvement, no matter what you buy now, over an 8 year old system.

I have a tower and a laptop. I keep all the important stuff on the laptop, and I never access my bank account from the laptop; all my online banking is done on the tower, which is hard wired. My laptop is set up next to my recliner, connects via wifi, and this is what I use most of the time. I have it plugged in all the time, the battery is always charged. I unplug it now and then to let the battery power down, then plug it in again.

I suggest you go to the library and look at Consumer Reports for ratings. This will also help you develop the list of things you WANT to have. You can also make a list of stuff you don't care about. For me, screen size is important, even on the laptop I have a wide screen. I want to SEE what I am doing online, lol.

I have always purchased all my computers at Staples over the years, I always seem to find the best deal there. I'll look at them at Best Buy, and ask questions (after I've spent time with Consumer Reports) but in the end, I like the Staples deals best. I have never purchased a computer online, I always see what I am getting and carry it home with me.

Routers have security and it is rare that anyone accesses your computer that way. I also suggest you get the router from your ISP. Each time I have had to set up a router myself, FAIL. Done it 3 times now (don't know why I even tried, the 3rd time!). Most ISPs offer the router and set it all up for you, security key and so on. I know Cox does, and I know Verizon FIOS does. I think Comcast has started now, as well. With FIOS, the router is combined with the basic unit, it is not a separate unit, so there is no extra fee on your bill for the router.

I've almost always had HP (Hewlett Packard) computers and laptops. I had Compaq before they were bought out by HP. I have never used any others; and I'll tell you, Dell does NOT have a good reputation, not at all, so don't be surprised when you read that in Consumer Reports. I suspect that your light usage is why is has been a good one for you.