Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
You are lucky, as some dogs I know would overeat if food were available 24/7. I have know dogs who would eat themselves sick, and then do it again if the opportunity arose!
You're quite right. I would consider consumption beyond a "normal" amount as being compulsive. Probably learned as young as from a high number of pups in a liter, or Mom not having much milk for a few. Whichever, something that is learned, and the issue would well be needed to question by a prospective owner.

Luck...maybe, but in bringing a new member into my Pack as a Puppy, I believe allows it to sense the "momentum" of issues like that. I have two Adult (M/F) members who are very good Fosters, quite calm about it, and the Pups that I've brought in (so far) seem to have fallen into line through their example. I often shake my head in bewilderment. My Adult Male is probably the most ill-tempered, territorial and protective Dog I've ever owned. But, when we get a Puppy, he'll let it take the food right out of his mouth and not blink an eye.

That's "Puppy Power" for you