Thread: Asking for your advice

Hybrid View

If memory serves me correctly (it's been at least 12 yrs since I had a kitten), I got a spray called Bitter Apple and I sprayed it on wires and even furniture legs. It's also possible that I got it a few years back for my pups. Anyway I think it worked.

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Willow and Willy chewed our cords up when they were kittens. We purchased Critter Cord http://www.crittercord.com/critter_cord.html
    It's a long, plastic hose with a slit in it. You put your cords inside it. The plastic is infused with a citrus taste. It did the trick. They didn't like the taste and quite chewing. We were able to remove it after a few months as they no longer were interested in chewing.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Winnie ia a wire chewer around here and has tried teaching the others. PVC pipe works but my computer has paper towel and toilet paper tubes over the cords. If you have things with those big box plugs, they paper tubes can be cut, fit around them and taped back shut. They've worked for me and even gave my cable guy a laugh when he gave me a new modem. (it was worn out not destroyed by kitty teeth)
    Good luck!!!

Oh, on my refrigerator in the kitchen, I got some plastic wire covering from Walmart. It is slit down the side but curls closed and they can't open it. It was pretty expensive to do the entire house with it. That's why I went with the paper tubes. They are cheap and easy to replace and should at least slow him down.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Very common problem.

I think everyone covered most of what I did - pvc from Home Depot, don't leave your phone cord out, it ALWAYS has to be in a drawer.

You can also rub Vaseline along all the cords; cats don't like the taste. If you do this, ALL dust bunnies will find their way to your cords, and you will have to wipe the cords clean periodically, then reapply the Vaseline.

My Chaplin chewed cords as a kitten, as did my RB Dazzle. I did the Vaseline, for about a year, each time. After that, they were out of the habit and I was safe with no Vaseline.

Thank you everyone for your helpful suggestions. When our vet called about Amigo's fecal test (negative for parasites etc.), I asked her about his wire chewing. Our vet recommended the bitter apple spray and I was able to order some from PetCo. Mike aka Soncat was able to block Amigo's access to the wires but we'll also try the bitter apple to hopefully end his chewing. Last week Amigo stopped eating his canned food and gobbles dry food right up. As long as he eats, we're not concerned. Having dry food to chew on might also help to keep him away from wires. If nothing else it has to taste better.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

First off, don't set the cat up for failure -- if you know he chews on your phone charger cord, don't leave it out unattended.

Put away ALL CORDS, or limit access to them.

Secondly, try a "bitter chew" or "chew deterrent" spray found at any pet or general goods store. Spray it on a paper towel and use it to wipe down any and all exposed cords that he may have access to.

facebook

How is it going, Momcat? Amigo, please leave the cords alone.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678