Eeeeeeeeeeeek, soooooo...dentals are underway right now, and I just got a phone call I was NOT happy to receive. Both girls have EXTENSIVE damage to their mouths due to feline orthodontic resorptive lesions....basically, their bodies are trying to re-absorb their teeth. This is EXCRUCIATINGLY painful, to the point where even cats who are anesthetized will get a spike in their blood pressure if a lesion is poked.

So there's good news and bad news. The bad news, obviously, is that they've been in a lot of pain for a long time. Also, they will both have to have a LOT of teeth pulled and it's looking like it's going to be close to $2,000 per cat. I'm going to start a new thread once I get the total this evening and try to get some fund-raising suggestions from folks here. My hubby is unemployed, so today's bill is mostly going on the credit card and I'm just going to...uh...hope he doesn't notice!

The GOOD news is that they will both feel a million times better after they recover!! Emma in particular has one tooth which is broken off at the gumline with the root exposed, and having that tooth removed will improve her quality of life immensely! Annie is having three canines removed as well as a few others, she's under as I type this so I'll update as soon as I know more.

I'm torn between absolute elation and panic right now.

Here is a good article about resorptive lesions: http://www.avds-online.org/info/felinelesions.html