Thread: Over the Counter Medications - chart - how much to give your pet

Over the Counter Medications - chart - how much to give your pet

Over-the-Counter Medications That Are Safe for Dogs (And How Much to Give!)

While veterinary care, lots of love, and a healthy lifestyle is the absolute best way to keep your pet feeling great, all dogs will experience at least some form of injury or illness in their lifetime. Did you know that there are many over-the-counter human medications that can be safe and effective for dogs, when used correctly?

Benadryl, or another branded antihistamine, can be incredibly useful for treating allergies, bug bites, or other causes of itchy skin. Buffered aspirin is an excellent anti-inflammatory and pain reliever. Even Dramamine can be used for dogs with motion sickness, and Immodium can treat diarrhea. However, dosages for dogs are much different than for humans.

Use the chart below to determine if your OTC medication is dog (and cat) safe and how much should be administered. Always check with your veterinarian that understands your pet’s health and history before giving any medications. Additionally, be certain that you’re using only the medication listed, not other ingredients. Many antihistamines, for example, include added decongestants that can be lethal for your dog. Check labels very carefully and when in doubt, don’t use.

Name:  household-medications-for-pets2-thumb.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  223.5 KB

This is wonderful! I'm so glad you posted this now. I need to start Zoee on Benadryl and was wondering the dosage.

Thank you!!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Over-the-Counter Medications That Are Safe for Dogs (And How Much to Give!)

Use the chart below to determine if your OTC medication is dog (and cat) safe and how much should be administered.
    I cannot see this chart......!?
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge