Thread: Dog still chews/destroys after 2 years of age!!!!

Dog still chews/destroys after 2 years of age!!!!

HEEEEEEEEELP!!! Our golden retriever/ sheltie mix, Savannah is well over 2 years old ... and she still cannot be trusted to be loose in the house unchaperoned! Even though we have a very nice fenced back yard with an insulated dog house, she screams her head off to come inside. We don't attempt to put her out in the cold weather, but even in the warm weather, she is just spoiled on being a house dog! So, because we have too many wires (2 computers, game stations, etc. etc.) that she could chew up, possibly harming herself in the process, we have to kennel her even inside the house. The only time she can be "free" is when one of us can watch her constantly, just like a 2 or 3 year old toddler, to keep her out of trouble! Right now it feels as though there are no other options .... too cold to go outside, plus she would scream her head off and bother our neighbors, and she can't be trusted "alone" in the house! PLEASE HELP!

Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

I have to say that I am glad you are willing to work this out. Dogs are social animals. They love to be with their family (you). I would get her enrolled in a reputable obedience class. Practice & patience! This may take a while if she has been raised this way for her whole life. She also seems a little bored, both breeds are active & smart breeds. Does she know any basice commands? I would work w/ her everyday, keep the sessions short & end on a positive note. And Praise, praise, praise when ever she is calm & when she obeys you. Always make her to a job for everything. Like make her sit before she eats dinner, make her lay down before she goes outside, lay calmy before she gets petted etc... Maybe leave her leash on her when in the house (when you are home at first) so she can be restricted a little easier at first. Clean a room just for her, maybe use a baby gate. Pick up all the cords & other possible dangers. Crate her when you are not home until she learns better manners. Kong toys are great! I would not give her any rawhides until she learns what she is & is not allowed to chew on. They only encourage a dog to chew. Give her a special time everyday (even if it's only 10 minutes, it should be at least a 1/2 hour) where she can play a good game of fetch or go for a walk. Try to keep at around the same time everyday. This will burn off some energy & will encourage a stronger bond with you and it helps teach the dog & gives her something to look forward to! This is a start. Good luck!
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

lv4dogs gave some great advice! Our Murphy is almost two, and he sometimes chews on things--plants, CDs, catalogs, socks, etc. He is not crate-trained (never took to it), and we don't have a yard because we live in the city, so we just have to keep an eye on him. Whenever he chews on something "bad," we tell him NO very firmly and loudly, pull him away or give him a squirt from a water bottle (he doesn't like water much), and give him one of his toys. This seems to be working. He gets plenty of play time and walk time, and he LOVES a Kong stuffed with peanut butter or with Milk Bones. Rawhide sticks keep him busy, too.

Someone once told me that dogs aren't fully mature until age 3...so we're almost there!

Rawhide sticks keep him busy, too.
    Rawhide teaches a dog to chew. I reccomend not giving them until the dog learns what he should & should not chew on. A dog has to keep chewing them in order to make them tasty so it teaches him that if he keeps chewing something it will get better!

A dog is not fully mature until the age 3-4 but if worked with properly he should be trained by age 1.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

i agree about being on a leash in the house. i "stationed" owen til he was about nine months old. it was great. we also worked a lot on me giving him things he could chew. eventually he learned that he could ONLY chew on things i gave him. being a little older, not sure how your dog will do with that. but i think having your dog on a leash while indoors will be helpful!
    -babolaypo

Only that which is the other gives us fully unto ourselves.
    -Sri Yogananda

It's important to have an end to journey toward but it's the journey that matters in the end.
    -Ursula Leguin