Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: update: ACV Cranberry or both: UTI/stones for Callie.

update: ACV Cranberry or both: UTI/stones for Callie.

Callie needs your prayers, too. I think she is just stressed out. And Spunky giving her a rough time the other day didn't help. That was a real cat fight.

I think she is also lonely, and once I catch her she will sit with me and let me love on her, purring away. I'm going to adopt her out in the next few weeks hopefully. She needs a peaceful home where she can get more attention.

I have to keep her in a room so Spunky won't harass her. He's just playing, but he doesn't want to understand that not everyone plays like he does.

She pooped on me tonight. Her litter box wasn't clean enough, so that's the next priority. I do think this is stress related.

At least I know she's not impacted.
    Last edited by mrspunkysmom; 09-29-2013 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Title change
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Awww, prayers on the way. At least normal poop is a good sign!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Awww, prayers on the way. At least normal poop is a good sign!
    Mom to humans or babies, normal poop is good.
    Anne

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way.

Prayers and good wishes are being sent for Callie and you.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Aw poor girl.

My Mandy has live din one bedroom for several years, now. During the day, the door is open and a baby gate is up (to keep the dogs out). If she even SEES Tommy on the other side of the gate, she starts howling and I race over with the water squirt bottle. He hasn't ventured in there in a long time. At night I have to close the door to keep him out. When this started though, I'd have to close the door when I left the house.
    During the day, the other cats do go in there, to use the 2 litter boxes, to look out the window, etc.

Since Riley arrived here a bit over a year ago, Cuddles has elected to stay in the room with Mandy.

I hope you can sort things out to help her calm down some.

Sending you lots of prayers and positive thoughts.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

Prayers and {{{hugs}}} for things to get better.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Thank you for the thoughts and prayers. I think they are working because I noticed something new tonight. She has blood in her urine. I'm fairly sure of it. She peed on the bed so it was quite noticeable. I researched UTI on the Internet and discovered most UTIs are inflammatory and not infectious. hmmm

I have some unopened Clindamyacin for Sams stomatitis. I realize that it may not work, but I have to try it. If anyone has any home remedies for inflammation, I would love to hear them.

And preventative measures? If there are any foods that might cause crystals, I would love to know so I could monitor her diet.

I so want her to get her sweet personality back. She hissed at me tonight. She never hisses.

Thanks
    Anne

Clindamycin is a poor choice for treating UTIs. Please consider taking her to the vet to get proper medication for it. It is true that they very commonly are inflammatory vs infectious... in which case antibiotics won't do much good as she would need to be put on a proper antiinflammatory medication to treat it and a proper antibiotic (if needed).

There are diets out there to prevent crystal and stone formation, but you would need to get it from your vet as it is a prescription diet. The main thing you want to look for is one that has a proper pH to avoid the formation of those specific crystals/stones. And different crystals/stones form in different pHs, so you'd need to know which kind you were dealing with to know what diets you'd need to look at.

Forgot to add... one thing that can help prevent (but isn't 100%) is offering wet food to help increase her water intake in attempt to dilute urine and make her urinate more often so urine isn't sitting in her bladder for as long to hopefully help prevent crystals/stones from forming.

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
    Clindamycin is a poor choice for treating UTIs. Please consider taking her to the vet to get proper medication for it. It is true that they very commonly are inflammatory vs infectious... in which case antibiotics won't do much good as she would need to be put on a proper antiinflammatory medication to treat it and a proper antibiotic (if needed).

There are diets out there to prevent crystal and stone formation, but you would need to get it from your vet as it is a prescription diet. The main thing you want to look for is one that has a proper pH to avoid the formation of those specific crystals/stones. And different crystals/stones form in different pHs, so you'd need to know which kind you were dealing with to know what diets you'd need to look at.

Forgot to add... one thing that can help prevent (but isn't 100%) is offering wet food to help increase her water intake in attempt to dilute urine and make her urinate more often so urine isn't sitting in her bladder for as long to hopefully help prevent crystals/stones from forming.
    She drinks plenty of water, so that isn't a problem. Her dry food is Professional Hairball formula. I also feed wet food, either canned salmon or mackerel. I am hoping that didn't cause it. I am thinking that she got stressed, and that caused the problems. yet she was distressed earlier in the year. I thought it was emotional, so this could be a reoccurrence of a problem. She's been on this diet for a while. I've tried canned cat food, and she throws most of it up.

I've read that salmon might be beneficial for those with kidney problems and I have been feeding it until lately. It is expensive. hmmmm.

I have some sulfa drug too, and I gave her a small part just a few minutes ago. I put it in some tuna for her. She is still energetic and able to evade me, so that is a good sign, but the clindamycin is not working. She is still peeing some blood. I think it may have worked, but I didn't give enough. I also fed chicken tonight.

Since she is still avoiding me and with energy I am wondering if this is just stones or crystals.

I may take her to the county vet on Saturday. I get paid Monday and will have some money to spend on her.

Anti-inflammatory sounds good. I will tell you that I won't feed any diet from a vet's office. That food has corn in it, and cats do not need corn.

I'll keep y'all updated on her condition.

Thanks for responding.
    Anne

Do with the diet as you may.

If you're suspicious of kidney disease, these kitties need to be put on a low protein diet, as high protein diets make the kidneys work harder and can exasperate the condition. And she may drink a lot and you offer her canned food but any kitty with suspected kidney or UTI issues can never have enough water intake!!!

Of course, I recommend against self-medicating her unless you're a DVM and can make a proper diagnosis as if you aren't using the proper medication you could potentially doing more harm than good...

I do hope you're able to take her this weekend!

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
    Do with the diet as you may.

If you're suspicious of kidney disease, these kitties need to be put on a low protein diet, as high protein diets make the kidneys work harder and can exasperate the condition. And she may drink a lot and you offer her canned food but any kitty with suspected kidney or UTI issues can never have enough water intake!!!

Of course, I recommend against self-medicating her unless you're a DVM and can make a proper diagnosis as if you aren't using the proper medication you could potentially doing more harm than good...

I do hope you're able to take her this weekend!
    Cats are pretty much screwed with kidney disease since they need protein and not carbs. I have to stick with a good diet. Hopefully this will clear without dietary change.
    Anne

TO the vet

After hemming and hawing with myself, I cancelled the tutoring appointment and took Callie to a vet. They just treat the condition instead of insisting on a lot of tests and vaccines.

Her urinalysis showed that she had lots of blood and white cells. So she got a Convenia shot, Clavamox drops, and some tramadol for pain. If she doesn't drastically improve I am to take her back.

I like these people. It's way down town, but worth it.

And Callie loved all over me. Can't get her to do that normally. She even made biscuits and rubbed her head all over my face.

It was $106, but the check won't go to the bank until Monday and I get paid then. Whew.

Need more wellwishes and purrayers.

Now I have to clean under the bed. Yuck!
    Last edited by mrspunkysmom; 09-29-2013 at 10:53 AM. Reason: additional comments and bad grammar
    Anne

Prayers for Callie. Loving all over you with happy paws sounds like a kitty who is feeling waay better!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda