Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Kitty, need tips

New Kitty, need tips

So I just got a new kitty, it's a boy and his name is Marcus. We adopted him from the shelter.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1240616_10153228035690455_1764800392_n.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	57086

But we still have Mizzie,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1002332_621244134574725_559812232_n.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	57087

who has been around another cat before (we had a male cat named Andy before we got Mizzie and he was put down less than a year ago because he was sick) but she's being mean. I realize that she's territorial and it's going to take a while. Marcus and Mizzie have already been introduced and gotten into two fights (we locked him in a room because Mizzie was getting really mad and she usually rules the roost so it wouldn't be fair to lock her up)

I was just wondering if anyone has any tips for getting them more friendly with each other? I know it could take some time but anything will help really thanks.

If it's really bad, I take the new cat and put them in the same room with the resident kitty, only the new cat is in a plastic cat carrier. I stay in the room and watch them. There is usually some hissing and such, but in this way, the resident cat does not perceive the new cat as a threat, since they are in a carrier. I do this for about 15 minutes to a half hour once or twice a day. This helps the old cat get used to the new one in a non-threatening atmosphere. The old cat gets used to the new one's scent and sounds. After a few days, the hostilities stop and curiosity takes its place. After about a week to ten days, I introduce them face-to-face and while there is ususally some hissing or checking each other out, this soon either leads to friendship or just them ignoring each other. I'm wishing you the best of luck! This method has always worked for me.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

That seems like a good idea but Mizzie is afraid of the cat carrier, she runs and hides because she knows it means the vet..:x thanks though, maybe I'll try it out and if Miz doesn't run away it could work

Katladyd meant to put the NEW kitty in the carrier and let Mizzie in the same room. That way Mizzie can get used to the new kitty without feeling overly threatened. As she said, do it for 15 minutes to 1/2 hour once a day.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

If Mizzie hides when the carrier comes out, try putting Marcus in a bathroom or smaller room and put up a baby gate (or two, since they climb/jump) and let them get to know each other through the gate. I did this when introducing kitties. And always do it while you can supervise, because Marcus will probably eventually climb or jump the gate.
    If that's not possible get a wire dog crate (or borrow one from someone if you can) and put Marcus in that. It's not the carrier, so maybe Mizzie won't run from it.

Good luck!! I have two cats that still only tolerate each other after 3 years of living together. The female hisses, growls, grunts and fusses when the boy gets near her. Yet she is not stressed out, so it's a happy home still.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Catty1: lol, I knew that's what they meant, but Mizzie as soon as she sees it runs away, doesn't matter who is going in it.

Taz_Zoee: I've read about some people doing that but we don't have a baby gate, and the only dog crate I could think to borrow is the one my boyfriend puts our dog in when she's bad, which recently she's been bad a lot, perhaps I'll look for a cheap one on Kijiji. Thank you though

That is a nightmare among Cat Lovers that there will be fighting with a new Cat adoption. My Panther and Scrapster fight badly with the claws a going and the fur a flying!!!
    If they are growling then
    Mizzie is just being the Boss Cat.
    Is there actual fighting?
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu View Post
    That is a nightmare among Cat Lovers that there will be fighting with a new Cat adoption. My Panther and Scrapster fight badly with the claws a going and the fur a flying!!!
    If they are growling then
    Mizzie is just being the Boss Cat.
    Is there actual fighting?
    Well Mizzie is declawed, and Marcus has claws but we are going to get him declawed.
    As for fighting not really. Right now we have Marcus in my grandma's room usually, and we let him out when Mizzie is in my room sleeping or when we're trying to get them used to each other. Mizzie growls and hisses, and Marcus will hiss back but he tends to just ignore her. If she didn't start it he wouldn't bother.

I hope you will reconsider about getting your cats declawed. It's a really really painful process and can cause a lifetime of pain and stress. Is there a specific reason why you want the cat declawed?
    Diane
    Central Coast CA
    "Cats happen......"

Quote Originally Posted by dehlers43 View Post
    I hope you will reconsider about getting your cats declawed. It's a really really painful process and can cause a lifetime of pain and stress. Is there a specific reason why you want the cat declawed?
    I don't know why we're getting him declawed, my grandma runs the house. I've never ever seen a cat that's had a lifetime of pain and stress after being declawed. We got Mizzie fixed and declawed the same day and I think she spent a day and a half under my bed and did an attempt to climb the curtains and after falling down gave up and got over it.

But it is up to my grandma ._. so I can't say if we'd reconsider or not..

Something else to keep in mind: a declawed cat is helpless. It can't fight and it can't climb. It would be totally vulnerable if it accidentally got lost outside.

I hope your grandmother will reconsider, too.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by ChikeiStar View Post
    I don't know why we're getting him declawed, my grandma runs the house. I've never ever seen a cat that's had a lifetime of pain and stress after being declawed. We got Mizzie fixed and declawed the same day and I think she spent a day and a half under my bed and did an attempt to climb the curtains and after falling down gave up and got over it.

But it is up to my grandma ._. so I can't say if we'd reconsider or not..
    Talk to your grandmother, and ask if you can just trim the kitten's nails instead. If you start now, you can get the kitten used you touching her feet, start doing that just in play, and petting time now, so if you do end up either trimming her nails or using "soft paws" (nail covers) she's okay with it!
    I've Been Frosted

I did talk to my grandmother, she said we might just get caps put on his claws every month since he is a little older. She hasn't decided yet. Not much progress in them getting along yet though.

If your grandmother is worried about the kitty scratching up the furniture there are a few things you can do. One, give the kitty something it's allowed to scratch...a cat tree, scratching post, something like that. Two, you can use aluminum foil or tape that is sticky on both sides to cover areas on furniture, usually the ends, arms or corners. Cats hate the feel of these things! You don't need to use the foil or tape very long, just long enough for the kitty to learn its better to scratch its post...
    Diane
    Central Coast CA
    "Cats happen......"

Watch this video. It might change your mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niMgBGfMgFc

Declawing is not a matter of just clipping the claws. It's cutting off the first knuckle of a cats toes. It can cause behavioral problems, litterbox issues, and the cat is defenseless and will resort to biting.

I think Granny needs to be declawed.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!