Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Is She Doing This???

Why Is She Doing This???

We have a humidifier in our room that has two water tanks on either side of a fan. Each tank drains into a reservoir. Edwina LOVES the water in the reservoir. Ever time one of us walks into the bedroom Edwina comes running. She sits beside the humidifier and gazes at us with that please?, please!?, please!?!?! look until we take off the tank so she can stick her head down into the reservoir to drink.

This is the same cat that continues to be drama queen about her drinking fountain. It makes no sound that I can hear...but she stretches out as long as she can when drinking from it so as to not get TOOO close to the monster.

grrrrr.... why is she doing this???? What is so tasty about that icky water in the humidifier? Why is the humming fan on that not a problem and the silent motor on her fountain TERRIFYING????

Dear Winny......location, location, location

Ask your Mom to move the new water dish to the top of the humidifer or at least next to it. Location, location, location. Right Winny?

My Mom moved my favorite water dish to an out of the way location, and guess what? I didn't drink from it anymore, cause I didn't like where it was. So, after a week or so of a standoff, my Mom moved the water dish to the near center of the kitchen floor and now I am drinking from it again.

Cats rule.

So Winny, ask Mom to move it.

Love,

Gabe

P. S. Water is very good for your skin. Since you are not in foggy London these days, the humidity and extra water intake will be good for you girl!

Re: Dear Winny......location, location, location

Originally posted by sasvermont
    my Mom moved the water dish to the near center of the kitchen floor
    Does this mean you had to trip over it everytime you went in the kitchen, SAS?!

I was going to suggest the same thing. If you move the water fountain near the humidifer, maybe she'll get the hint and decide she'd rather drink out of the quiet water fountain rather than that darn noisy humidifier.

Now if it was a de-humidifier, I might suggest that she's like the taste of that water better, but I'm thinking the humidifier has water from the same tap the water fountain does, so that theory doesn't apply here.

Now, for your main question of why is she doing this? All I can say is whhooooo knows..... I believe we will never figure out the reasons behind some of their antics, which is probably part of the reason we love them so much.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Re: Re: Dear Winny......location, location, location

Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
    [B]

Does this mean you had to trip over it everytime you went in the kitchen, SAS?!
    I guess that's what it meant

trip no, step over, well, yes

I have only so many spare outlets, floor high, in my kitchen and I first plugged in the contraption near my bedroom door, in a walk way, near my kitchen. So as you walk from my kitchen to my bedroom door area, one must walk around the darn water dish. If you can see the picture of Gabe near the fountain in my signature, that is where it was originally, then I moved it to behind a table, near their food, near an outlet. Gabe and the others did not drink from it there. So I moved it back to the original location, which was one that I did not really like.

The cats won! Of course!

My parents-in-law ( ) have a Tortie who will only drink out of their table top fountain! When they are traveling and don't want it plugged in, they have to remove it from the table and put it next to her food dish.

I was there last week and saw that they put the rocks from the fountain into her regular, unused water bowl. Haven't heard how that is working, but I thought it was funny how much our cats have US trained!

Silly Edwina...I think you just like drinking from there to confuse your mommy.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Re: trip no, step over, well, yes

Originally posted by sasvermont
    then I moved it to behind a table, near their food, near an outlet. Gabe and the others did not drink from it there. So I moved it back to the original location, which was one that I did not really like.

The cats won! Of course!
    Fister has a glass of water stannding next to his foos bowl and one in out bedroom. Guess where he always drinks from - yes from the one in our bedroom!

Apart from that, I've read somewhere that cats doesn't like to drink next to their food!

Edwina, you go and teach you mum where to put it! - but please let her get some sleep!!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Dear Gorgeous Gabe,

Ask your Mom to move the new water dish to the top of the humidifer or at least next to it. Location, location, location. Right Winny?
    I passed on your suggestion. She said she has another idea of where to put it. Where doesn't the sun shine? She says it is one thing for me to have room service in her (?????) bedroom when the dogs are here but.....

There's lots of room and so she has to unplug a lamp?? I can see in the dark. She reads too much anyway!

I think what she doesn't understand is just how much fun it is for me to make her (and poppa!) move the tank for me. (I'm a bit of a control freak.) And the water may look yucky to her but it's yummy to me!

And if I have to hear what she paid for the fountain one more time I'll.....(it didn't help when she saw it in a catalog for $12 less!)

She's threatening to cut me off the dehumidifier to try and force me to use the fountain more. Any ideas on what I should do if she tries?

Your waterlogged Winny

Edwina at the Humidifier

Edwina is too funny!! I love the stories of her behaviour.

Nakita is also a weird one when it comes to her water dish. These are her rules:

First and foremost: You CANNOT use a pet dish! it has to be in a 'human' drinking glass.

Second, it HAS to be placed beside the computer monitor or she will not touch the water!

Can you tell who rules the house around here?! If you look at the pic, you can see the glass in the background!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Don't be afraid that your life will end. Be afraid that it will never begin.

Kass/Russian Blue- sorry, but I dont see how you can do anything BUT what ever she wants...what a beautiful kitty! So regal, and I bet her coat is very plush, isn't it?

As to Edwina- what a weirdo you are! I think you are a very comical and finicky cat, not to mention, brilliant. Your hoomans have learned very well, haven't they?

Dear Edwina,

If you really want to make your human wonder about you, do what I do - drink your water with your paws!! For years I have refused to drink water unless I scoop it out of my water dish in one of my front paws. It takes a looong time to get enough water but it's worth it to see the look on her face!!

Yours in catliness,

Lynnseed Enigma (tabby)

Originally posted by Cataholic
    Kass/Russian Blue- sorry, but I dont see how you can do anything BUT what ever she wants...what a beautiful kitty! So regal, and I bet her coat is very plush, isn't it?
    Cataholic,

Her coat is great, and it's getting thicker every day. She has grown sooo much in the last 2 months. Since she was spayed last week, they of course had to shave the area for surgery. Nakita keeps looking at her little white belly and looks to me as if to say "What happened here?"

Don't be afraid that your life will end. Be afraid that it will never begin.

I also have a table top "serenity" fountain that I've kept on my dresser in my bedroom. The sound of the water helps put me to sleep.

Unfortunately, my feline masters insist that it's THEIR purrsonal drinking fountain and make me put filtered water in it so as not to clog up the pump with chemicals. Besides, they HATE the smell of chlorine.

So...I decided to put it down where they food dishes are. I did buy them a kitty fountain out of a catalog but they never use it. What is it with them?????

Casey LOVES to watch the water in my humidifier bubble in the tank. If there is a drip on the outside, he's there licking it off.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Originally posted by hellostranger
    For years I have refused to drink water unless I scoop it out of my water dish in one of my front paws.
    Do you mean like this?

She first acts like a bull, pawing at the ground, then finally sits down and sticks one paw in. Licks that one, and it's not quite good enough sooo....

Yep, she sticks the other paw in. Eventually, after going through this process for about 5 minutes (which seem like forever as I'm standing there watching and trying not to move so I don't distract her) then she will finally stand up, stick her face in the glass and start drinking like a real kitty. But the slightest movement on my part would completely distract her and she would start the entire process over again.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl