Thread: Helpful Hints ... add yours!

Hybrid View

I need some advice. Earlier in the summer I made strawberry jam, which I put in glasses... you know the ones our mom's and grandmom's used. They have a glass lid and there's a rubber band around the top, then you close them with a metal thingy. They look like some of these here:
    https://www.google.com/images?q=henk...g&ved=0CB0QsAQ

Well, I simply can't open it. Would it help to put it in a bowl with boiling water or what?

Hope someone has an idea. Thank you!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    I need some advice. Earlier in the summer I made strawberry jam, which I put in glasses... you know the ones our mom's and grandmom's used. They have a glass lid and there's a rubber band around the top, then you close them with a metal thingy. They look like some of these here:

Well, I simply can't open it. Would it help to put it in a bowl with boiling water or what?

Yes - either run the top where the rubber ring is under hot water, or just sit the jar upside down in a pan of hot water. Don't know that I'd use boiling water tho - just very hot.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post

When you say you can't open it, do you mean you can't get the long metal bar OFF, or that is off and you can't get the pull tab on the rubber ring to release? I used a firm knife as a lever, and got a bit of air in slowly to help release the glass top. Just lift the knife and you see a few bubbles, hold that position and wait, release and pry it up again, let more air in.

I am clearing out my Dad's house and I found 27 jars of peach preserves and 4 jars of apples sauce in those jars. Being as they were about 30 years old I decided to open them outside and dump them in a hole I dug in the garden - instant compost! A few were really tight and the paring knife did the trick. Just did this Saturday!

Yeah, hot water, not boiling! Heat will make the metal expand faster than it will make the glass expand, so it, in effect, "loosens" the lid!
    I've Been Frosted

Thanks everyone! Well, I managed to open it and I've washed my top and my shirt.

I didn't even have to put it in hot water, but I had to use a bit of force to open it and it slipped, so a bit of it went on my clothes and the table.

I made sure to clean the edge and the rubber band thoroughly before I closed it again - and I rubbed a tiny bit of oil on the rubber ring. So, next time it should open without problems.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.