Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Summertime thoughts

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I don't get it!!! Why have AC if you aren't going to run it to stay comfortable, because it's too costly? My comfort is worth the money. I'd rather cut corners somewhere else, than be hot and sick and miserable.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

It's happened in Toronto often, and sometimes in Calgary, that a heat wave causes so many AC units to be turned on that the electric companies have a brownout or resort to rotating power blackouts.

My place is like yours, KAK - I am on the second floor and often leave windows open a bit at night. The sun doesn't come around until the afternoon and I close drapes and windows before then. My place stays very cool and I have one ceiling fan that helps a lot if really needed.

I am thinking of buying some of that window film that blocks heat and UV. I have some friends that have used it and the difference is apparently amazing!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    It's happened in Toronto often, and sometimes in Calgary, that a heat wave causes so many AC units to be turned on that the electric companies have a brownout or resort to rotating power blackouts.
    This happens just about everywhere if it's hot enough long enough.

We're headed for our 4th - or maybe it's 5th - heat wave of this season. They consider it a heat wave if the temps are 90 or above for 3 days straight. Supposed to be in the mid to upper 90's all next week, and probably 100+ on Wednesday. Oh joy!!! - guess I know where I'll be all week with the exception of going out for about an hour for a doctor appointment. If only the humidity was lower it would be more tolerable, but when you open the door to walk outside, it's like someone tosses a hot, wet blanket in your face, and then drapes it over the rest of your body. YUK!!! - too miserable............

I'm so grateful that Myndi isn't a dog that likes to be outside. We go out - she does what is necessary - then we're back in the house.

ETA:
    We've had so darn much rain this summer, that it never really drys up before the monsoons hit again. We had over 4" here again yesterday, and just about 12 miles south in Dover, they had over 6" with wicked spot flooding. The hospital parking lot had water up to the windshields on some cars, and other roadways closed because of flooding, and people with kyaks paddling down some of the roads. I just walked out to check the mail, and the ditch by the road is still flooded, and there are hundreds of pollywogs(tadpoles), swimming around in the water. And yes - the mosquitoes are ferocious this year since they have constant standing water to thrive in - even with the state spraying to try to rid them. It ain't working...........
    Last edited by pomtzu; 07-13-2013 at 12:26 PM.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    If only the humidity was lower it would be more tolerable, but when you open the door to walk outside, it's like someone tosses a hot, wet blanket in your face, and then drapes it over the rest of your body. YUK!!! - too miserable............

I'm so grateful that Myndi isn't a dog that likes to be outside. We go out - she does what is necessary - then we're back in the house.
    Pomtzu, I heard a description of the hot muggies the other day that I thought you'd appreciate: "It's like walking around in someone else's mouth." We had a hot very humid day, and we had a bit of rain but it didn't help = it was just like the humidity just solidified here and there into droplets, and a server at my local pizza place told me that one.

By the way, we have A/C here because the apartment/building came with it, we just don't need to use it. And the old house we had a window unit (It's sitting in our storage space at the moment) that we had for the one or two times a year it got too hot there even for Paul.
    I've Been Frosted

Having AC is rare here in the UK, but then again so are heatwaves, however when they do occur, oh, how I long for AC

This year summer has been a long time coming but it's now arrived and it is very hot in some places, not so bad here so far (fingers crossed & touch wood). I have an electric fan which I use when necessary, otherwise it's windows & back door open to keep the air circulating, great if there is a breeze. Unfortunately, living in a bungalow, and being cautious, I don't leave the bedroom window open at night which is a real bind, even though night temps tend to be lower by then the inside has heated up to make bedtime uncomfortable. I guess I'm 'lucky' in that being retired I don't have to go outside unless I want/need to and any house/garden work I do either early or late when it is cooler.

The pets, well, Ebby just lazes round as always. Alfie is quite clever in that he only goes out to run around in the cool of the morning or evening. When he occasionally does take it in his head to sunbathe it's not for long he either comes back inside or finds a shady spot.

I'm definitely not a fan of summer. As I'm getting older I like the cold weather more and more. AC for us is a necessity. When it gets really hot, especially with these heatwaves, my blood sugar tends to go ballistic. When I talked to my doctor about it, she said that's not unusual for diabetics. According to local weather reports another heatwave is expected to hit tomorrow and last through the week. Ugh!

Karen, here's a definition of humidity I heard some time ago: humidity is when everything that's supposed to come apart sticks together and everything that's supposed to stick together comes apart.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by momcat View Post
    humidity is when everything that's supposed to come apart sticks together and everything that's supposed to stick together comes apart.
    That's a good one, Eileen. I never heard that one before, but it sure is true.

Take care this week - we're going to bake again all week, and if we get any more rain to go with it, it will be a steam bath. I'm sick of this and can't wait till Fall and some crisp, clear weather. And hopefully, I'll be in NC by then, too.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Maybe we should all buy a chillow for the next heat wave. Here's the link:http://www.asseenontv.com/chillow-pi...l.php?p=448277.

I wonder if they really work? I had thought about getting one, but most products you get from t.v. ads, don't work as they say. I suppose I should check out the reviews. I haven't found any pillow that doesn't make my head sweat (regardless of the weather), and I have to wrap a heavy bath towel around mine (the pillow-not my head ) - otherwise I wake up with a wet head!
    Last edited by pomtzu; 07-15-2013 at 09:21 AM.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Pom- I laughed at you with your head wrapped up in a towel! Even feather pillows make your head sweat?

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    Pom- I laughed at you with your head wrapped up in a towel! Even feather pillows make your head sweat?
    Yes indeed - foam or polyfill or down - I've tried them all. Right now I have a down and that is the least offensive of all I have ever had. I still have to wrap it ( THE PILLOW ) in a heavy towel tho.........
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Yet another day of this heatwave - I think this is the hottest summer I can remember - usually a heat wave here will only last a few days! Everyone staying cool?

My favorite sorta "side effect" - when one of us leaves a nearly full bottle of water in the car and forgets it - I bring it in and throw two peach tea bags in a glass and pour the heated water over and throw it in the fridge! Yummy, and cool - and I didn't have to heat up the kitchen by boiling water!
    I've Been Frosted

My summertime thoughts are NOT good ones in this weather. It was 96 and stinking humid again today, and no chance of daytime temps falling below 90 before next Monday. I sure hope it cools off some. Next Tuesday night we are going to the Jeff Dunham show live at the DE State Fair, and it's in an outdoor pavilion. It should be somewhat cooler by the time the show starts tho - just hoping the humidity is down and it isn't too buggy. We went when he was there a few years ago, and the weather was very cooperative. Hoping for a repeat!
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    My summertime thoughts are NOT good ones in this weather. It was 96 and stinking humid again today, and no chance of daytime temps falling below 90 before next Monday. I sure hope it cools off some. Next Tuesday night we are going to the Jeff Dunham show live at the DE State Fair, and it's in an outdoor pavilion. It should be somewhat cooler by the time the show starts tho - just hoping the humidity is down and it isn't too buggy. We went when he was there a few years ago, and the weather was very cooperative. Hoping for a repeat!
    I just checked weather.com for you - they say you'll get relief by this Sunday! How's Mindi old gal in this weather?
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    I just checked weather.com for you - they say you'll get relief by this Sunday! How's Mindi old gal in this weather?

She's doing okay since we both stay in the house and go outside only when necessary and for the shortest time possible. It's going to be even hotter today, with temps forecast to be 98 - which means it will be even hotter - and humidity and air quality in the dangerous zone. The heat index will be at the "cooking" level too. BLAH!!!! - bring on frost and leaves changing color and a chill in the air and sweatshirts!
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013