Thread: The saddest decision we ever had to make. but Charlie is now at peace

The saddest decision we ever had to make. but Charlie is now at peace

All of our cats deserve a mention, but Charlie was the special one...

We have had five cats in our married life. We gave away the first two when we emigrated to Australia in 1988. Shaboo was a Burmese Brown torti and Smokie who was a Burmese Blue. They were about 12 months old and as they were so young I knew they would be ok adapting to a new family. Then about ten months after we arrived in Australia we brought Jasmine and Toto into our lives, they were Siamese. Jasmine was a Lilac point and Toto a Chocolate point. We tried to keep them as indoor cats, but at roughly 18 months Toto got outside and was fatally hit by a car, he died in my arms. To help Jasmine with the loss we decided to look for another kitten. I saw some Burmese kittens advertised near Phillip Island, so we drove down and had a look. There were six kittens to choose from and we initially chose a Red. We went back to the house to sign the paperwork with the owner, but something was nagging at me and I said ‘hold on, I need to go back’. There had been a Brown who kept trying to get my attention on the first viewing. When I went back down to look at the kittens again the Brown saw me coming, he climbed up the mesh cage to level with my face and I sensed him say to me ‘I’ve chosen you, please take me home'. When I went back a few weeks later to collect Charlie he curled around my neck and stayed there the entire 115 kilometre drive back to Millgrove. In 1993 we brought Charlie and Jasmine back to England with us. Jasmine died in 2002, Charlie died June 2013 after spending almost 22 years with us.

A lament for Charlie...

You were our handsome lad. We laughed at your antics, we cherished your affection for us, and your cuddles. You were fearless, you went from cool kitty to a grand old cat, and everyone who saw you, admired you. You were unique. Each morning you would come into our bedroom and say hello, greeting us with a cold wet nose and a lick. You looked forward to the log fire in winter, taking prime position to heat yourself. When it was warm outside we loved watching you in the garden, soaking up the dappled sunlight next to the spindle tree. You never troubled the birds, the fiercest you ever got was a gurgling meow at the pigeons. We were heartbroken each time we left you at the cattery to go on holiday. Every time we left you in the house we were worried that you would be ok. Even though there were times when we took you for granted and didn’t give you enough of our time, you were always in our thoughts. You were our world.

Very near the end of your life we were devastated. In a matter of days you stopped eating, the stairs were now becoming impossible to climb, and you could barely walk or stand to use your litter tray. You were suffering with chronic kidney failure and other age related illnesses. We sensed the end was near, so we tried to make you as comfortable as we could. I made a bed up and slept on the floor with you for your last three nights on earth. I wanted you to know that we were there for you and that you were loved. On that third and final night I tried desperately to think of the best way out for you. I wanted you to die peacefully in your sleep, in my lap or by my side, I sensed that’s what you wanted too. In the morning we watched you struggle to your feet to try and walk over for a drink, eventually I had to carry you there. We were heartbroken to see you like that, you have always been a fighter and you were clinging to life. We now realised that you weren’t going to die naturally without truly suffering, so we knew we had to help you pass.

When we arrived back home after making arrangements with the vet, you got onto my lap, and there you lay for the next two and a half hours. I wanted that moment to last forever. When the vet arrived I felt like turning him away because you seemed so peacefully asleep in my lap, but you woke and it broke my heart because I sensed you knew what was about to happen. The vet arrived at 13:35 and by 13:45 you were gone from our lives forever. That decision was truly painful, but we wanted you to pass peacefully, no more pain or suffering.

We know that wherever your proud spirit is now, it is at peace

Charlie, you gave us your unconditional love and true companionship. Thank you for choosing to spend your life with us, your memories flood our senses and we will never forget you.

Born 15th September 1991 - Died 13:45 on the 17th June 2013, aged 21 years & 9 months
    Last edited by Sad mart; 06-21-2013 at 10:21 AM.

Our condolences. Rest in peace, Charlie, you had a good long run, full of love and adventures.
    I've Been Frosted

I am so very sorry. My deepest sympathy to you and all who love Charlie so deeply and miss and grieve him so much. What a wonderful cat, and what a wonderful home and life he had with you from start to end, full of "unconditional love and true companionship." You and Charlie have shared so many delightful moments. May your precious memories help to bring you peace and comfort.

Rest in peace, darling beloved Charlie. Your pain and suffering are over, you are whole and healthy again at the Rainbow Bridge, a glorious radiant Angel. Love is eternal, and you and your beloved family are together always.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

The love you had for Charlie and the love he had for you shine brightly in your post. I, too, lost a precious Siamese boy a couple of months ago. I have two other cats that I adore, but there is something about a Siamese... I hope another kitty who needs a loving home finds you. and I hope it is Siamese.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

I'm so sorry to hear about Charlie. He lives a looooong wonderful life.

RIP beautiful boy. Play hard at the Bridge.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Sorry to hear about your Charlie. RIP dear kittie.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

My deepest condolences to you and your family. A wonderful tribute to a beautiful friend - cat of a lifetime. Dear Charlie you were truly blessed to have had such a full and happy life with love all around. Sleep sweetly dear boy and know the memories you leave are your precious legacy.

My childhood kitty lived to be 22 and had to be helped to pass as well. He left pawprints on my heart that will never leave and I cherish the time spent with him always.
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

SootysMum Guest

RIP Charlie boy

Charlie was a grand old cat - I baby cat-sat with Charlie a few times and got to know his lovely personality - and what a meeeooowwww if he wanted to let you know he was about! I know he was your true friend and will be terribly missed. But now his spirit is free and without pain and I'm sure he looks down on you and thinks what a wonderful time I had and what a lovely family I had to share my life with.. take care Sad mart and remember how much Charlie loved you.. xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Sad mart View Post
    All of our cats deserve a mention, but Charlie was the special one...

We have had five cats in our married life. We gave away the first two when we emigrated to Australia in 1988. Shaboo was a Burmese Brown torti and Smokie who was a Burmese Blue. They were about 12 months old and as they were so young I knew they would be ok adapting to a new family. Then about ten months after we arrived in Australia we brought Jasmine and Toto into our lives, they were Siamese. Jasmine was a Lilac point and Toto a Chocolate point. We tried to keep them as indoor cats, but at roughly 18 months Toto got outside and was fatally hit by a car, he died in my arms. To help Jasmine with the loss we decided to look for another kitten. I saw some Burmese kittens advertised near Phillip Island, so we drove down and had a look. There were six kittens to choose from and we initially chose a Red. We went back to the house to sign the paperwork with the owner, but something was nagging at me and I said ‘hold on, I need to go back’. There had been a Brown who kept trying to get my attention on the first viewing. When I went back down to look at the kittens again the Brown saw me coming, he climbed up the mesh cage to level with my face and I sensed him say to me ‘I’ve chosen you, please take me home'. When I went back a few weeks later to collect Charlie he curled around my neck and stayed there the entire 115 kilometre drive back to Millgrove. In 1993 we brought Charlie and Jasmine back to England with us. Jasmine died in 2002, Charlie died June 2013 after spending almost 22 years with us.

A lament for Charlie...

You were our handsome lad. We laughed at your antics, we cherished your affection for us, and your cuddles. You were fearless, you went from cool kitty to a grand old cat, and everyone who saw you, admired you. You were unique. Each morning you would come into our bedroom and say hello, greeting us with a cold wet nose and a lick. You looked forward to the log fire in winter, taking prime position to heat yourself. When it was warm outside we loved watching you in the garden, soaking up the dappled sunlight next to the spindle tree. You never troubled the birds, the fiercest you ever got was a gurgling meow at the pigeons. We were heartbroken each time we left you at the cattery to go on holiday. Every time we left you in the house we were worried that you would be ok. Even though there were times when we took you for granted and didn’t give you enough of our time, you were always in our thoughts. You were our world.

Very near the end of your life we were devastated. In a matter of days you stopped eating, the stairs were now becoming impossible to climb, and you could barely walk or stand to use your litter tray. You were suffering with chronic kidney failure and other age related illnesses. We sensed the end was near, so we tried to make you as comfortable as we could. I made a bed up and slept on the floor with you for your last three nights on earth. I wanted you to know that we were there for you and that you were loved. On that third and final night I tried desperately to think of the best way out for you. I wanted you to die peacefully in your sleep, in my lap or by my side, I sensed that’s what you wanted too. In the morning we watched you struggle to your feet to try and walk over for a drink, eventually I had to carry you there. We were heartbroken to see you like that, you have always been a fighter and you were clinging to life. We now realised that you weren’t going to die naturally without truly suffering, so we knew we had to help you pass.

When we arrived back home after making arrangements with the vet, you got onto my lap, and there you lay for the next two and a half hours. I wanted that moment to last forever. When the vet arrived I felt like turning him away because you seemed so peacefully asleep in my lap, but you woke and it broke my heart because I sensed you knew what was about to happen. The vet arrived at 13:35 and by 13:45 you were gone from our lives forever. That decision was truly painful, but we wanted you to pass peacefully, no more pain or suffering.

We know that wherever your proud spirit is now, it is at peace

Charlie, you gave us your unconditional love and true companionship. Thank you for choosing to spend your life with us, your memories flood our senses and we will never forget you.

Born 15th September 1991 - Died 13:45 on the 17th June 2013, aged 21 years & 9 months

Cool

That is quite a long life for your friend Charlie , but we do always want more.
    Charlie is such a wise Old Cat and when he becomes an Elder Cat Angel, he will be there to advise, cuddle and comfort all the younger Awesome Angels who have gone before us.
    This is a sad day for Senior Cats.
    Charlie Angel will always love you and you will all be reunited in love.
    One Fine Day
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I'm so very sorry for your loss of Charlie. Your tribute to him is beautiful, and I can sense how you miss him. He lived a good and long life with you, but it's never easy to say goodbye. Instead of letting him suffer, you did the right thing. I hope your pain will lessen and your memories will help bring you peace and comfort.

Rest in peace, dear Charlie!

I lost my darling, Fister, in February this year and it is so hard.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...ghlight=fister

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

What a wonderful tribute to a beautiful soul. May his memories live on forever in your heart.