Thread: Sparkler's appetite is off

Hybrid View

Thank you so much..

Last night Sparkler did not come out for some food.. at least not that I was aware of, as I slept quite soundly. I did leave a bowl of kibble under the bed, which had been all eaten when I got up in the morning, again, I hope by her but can't tell for sure.

When I was feeding the other guys breakfast (kibble) in the bedroom, I looked under the bed and saw that the box-springs fabric volume was way weighed down in the middle (by guess who), so I quick went in the kitchen, got some wet food and scooped it out into a bowl, then went back and stuck the bowl in through one of the holes in the fabric bottom.

A little later I went back to get the emptied-bowls and checked the one in the fabric bottom.. all had been eaten! I am hoping and am fairly certain by guess-who but can't be absolutely sure that Poppy didn't slip in there and eat it. (The others in the bedroom aren't capable.) I don't think so, because Sparkler was still there in the middle, but I can't be absolutely certain.

This is all such a worry to me. I don't know how I can get her OUT of there and put her somewhere else she'll feel safe and begin to relax in.. I get thoughts of her getting really sick in there and just wasting away..

Please continue sending prayers and good wishes for both Sparkler and Poppaea.. thank you so much from us all,

Love, Pat and cats
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

More prayers, good wishes for Sparkler and Poppaea & (((HUGS))) for Pat.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I can understand that you are worried. A happy and healthy kitty does not hide that much over so many days. I hope Sparkler gets better and will come out in a couple of days. At least she is eating...

Thank you, Barbara. Last evening she came out, and I gave her a dish of their regular wet food (Trader Joe's Turkey and Giblets Dinner). She ate some but not the whole bowlful. Maybe she's spoiled with the Fancy Feast.

This morning when I was bringing in breakfast for the other cats in the bedroom, she was out, but she went back into the bedsprings box. Maybe she's feeling a little better and getting more outgoing again. I hope and pray so.
    Last edited by phesina; 03-30-2013 at 10:54 AM.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Sparkler- new complications

Sparkler is coming out some now, and she spends time on the "hammock" created by the sagging material under the box springs, where I can reach in and pet her or give her food.

The apartment complex owners are going to be replacing all the windows in all of the apartments. Mine are scheduled to be done April 8 or 9. Since according to my lease I can only have two pets here, I may need to board all 7 cats that day. Or maybe Sparkler can stay here, but I'm sure she'd head right back up into the bedsprings once the atmosphere got alarming. Poppaea can maybe stay here too, because I don't think she'd roam far. But if any cats stay here, I will want to be here while the work is being done, so I can check on them and maybe move them from one room while the other is being done.

It's all quite alarming for me.

Please keep the prayers and good wishes coming. Thank you.

Death thought about it.

I'm glad to hear that Sparkler is starting to come out. I live in a condo complex and we have annual fire alarm and smoke alarm testing. Since I have two bedrooms, I just put the 7 younger cats in the second bedroom which is a cat room and the oldest 3 stay in my bedroom. They all run and hide from the noise so no one even knows that I have cats. I also like to be home when repairs are being done. Sky used to get a bit overly friendly with repairmen in the past and bug them. The rest of my gang isn't used to company so most of them will just hide. I would think that you would be able to put most of your cats in a different room away from the windows that will be replaced. Good luck.

Thanks, Tracey. i'm really glad Sparkler is starting to act a little more like her "regular" self, too.

I only have two rooms (living room and bedroom) plus the small bathroom, and each has windows that will be replaced and will require workers inside the room as the window is done.

Also, according to my lease I am allowed to have only two pets. I have five cats plus the two fosters, so I could possibly keep two here and move them from room to room as needed, but the other five will have to be somewhere else. I will probably board them at a pet-boarding facility across town for the day.

I'm thinking of keeping Sparkler and Poppaea here.. I think being stuffed in carriers and then moved in the car across town and then put in a place full of the smells of lots of other animals and the sounds of dogs barking would be more frightening for them than just being moved from room to room, possibly in carriers, while the strange people and the loud noises are in the apartment. At least they'd be home and could get back to their usual territory once the workers are gone.
    Death thought about it.