Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dad came to visit

Can't imagine how difficult it must be to deal with all this. Even if he doesn't recognize the fluffs (and kitties) anymore you can still tell it means a lot to him and they for sure seem happy to see him. Just look at that smile! Those photos are priceless

I smiled as I looked at these pictures, Sandie! I am glad he was able to sit down and be with the pets for awhile. And also that he is settling in at the facility where he's been living these past several months. He looks really good from your pictures. i think you did a great job of caring for him in your home for as long as you have, and I'm glad he gets physical exercise and stimulating activities. sending you (((HUGS))) tonight.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Thank you Asiel, Tracy, Varga and Elyse. I appreciate the encouragement from all your comments.

I like the first picture best. Sandie, when I think of your Dad that is exactly how I picture him, surrounded by fluffs and/or kitties, and smiling! I agree with kaycountrygal -- how sweet that Riley, Willy and Crystal came to be with him! He may not remember exactly who's who but they know he is one of their people. I am also very glad they can go to visit him and I bet there are lots of smiles when he receives a visit from them!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I am so glad he had a nice visit, and is in a facility where his care can be met with the appropriate level of staffing. Are you allowed to bring any of the fluffs with you on visits as "therapy dogs?"

One thing that seemed to help with Aunt Bertha, who near the end had no short-term memory to speak of, was to bring her flowers when I visited, so there'd be evidence that "someone" had been there recently once I left. It also meant more people visited her room, which was a nice benefit! I was fortunate in that she always recognized me, she wasn't diagnosed with any particular dementia, but this was about 15 years ago now, it was just like all her systems were slowly shutting down as she aged. She was in her nineties.
    I've Been Frosted

Karen, I take the dogs in regularly - in fact it is rare I go pet - less! I usually take one dog and every 7 to 10 days I take all 4. Sparkle has also been in to visit -- she is a registered pet therapy cat, though she hasn't "worked" in many years. Sparkle is age 17 now! I have been considering taking Crystal in, as well.

It takes us at least 10 minutes to get from the front door to the elevator -- EVERYONE loves to see the pets: residents, staff, other visitors, even vendors making deliveries! We've been in many resident rooms, joined Activities in all 3 activities rooms and in the big hall, and we've joined in PT as well. This place really encourages pet visits, so we have also met quite a few other dogs.