Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fister is at the hospital

Fister is at the hospital

Fister's own vet is sick and other vet was booked all day, so I called the vet hospital and made an appointment. I wheeled him over there in a pram I borrowed, a 15 min walk.

We didn't have to wait long, a woman vet examined him thoroughly, weighed him and took his temperature, which was normal. She confirmed my fear that he had lost more weight, he is down to 4,3 kg. He has very pale gums and needs fluid, so he will be put on a drop and they will keep him until tomorrow. Hope the fluid will perk him up! He was such a good boy during the examination.

They will do the tests again that he had done recently, plus some more - and a urine test. She talked about scanning him, also. I said go ahead and do what's necessary if I can keep him a bit longer and his life quality will improve.

I almost fainted when she told me cost of all these tests, and I don't know what to do. So far, it will be more than $730 and since November 2012, I have less money to live on already.

So depending on what they find is wrong with him and considering his age, I may have to make a very difficult decision.

This is the hospital I took him to: http://www.dyrehospitalet.ku.dk/

Please send all the good thoughts you can!
    Last edited by Randi; 02-01-2013 at 09:35 AM.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Oh Randi, I'm so sorry to hear this about sweet Fister. Please know that many prayers are going up for him and upon further testing they find things not to be nearly as bad as reported. Lots of get better lovies are being sent for Fister and many [[[[[HUGS]]]]] for you. Please keep us updated?
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Randi - I too am so sorry to hear this distressing report. Hopefully Fister will perk up be be able to have more quality time with you. Mega prayers for him, and {{{hugs}}} to you. Hang in there, and think positive.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Saying prayers and sending good thoughts for both you and dear Fister.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Prayers from Rhode Island for Fister and for the white coats caring for him.

Paypal

Randi, I am so sorry to hear about Fister. Please do set up a Paypal account so we may all contribute a little something to his care. Really. Do not hesitate to do this. Of all the people here, who have been in dire straights, you certainly deserve the attention and contributions from us. The folks at Paypal will do the conversion of $.

I hope your boy recovers quickly. If he is going to be struggling like this, you may want to let him go. Not everyone can afford to keep a sick pet alive forever. You have given him great care so far. Now that he is old and failing, it may just be his time to say goodbye to his beloved meowmie.

Prayers and good vibes coming your way.

P. S. Don't forget about that Paypal account. Sometimes it takes a village.

Quote Originally Posted by sasvermont View Post

From Chicago, too - hoping that the fluids and medications will help

Edited to say: Please advise, PT'ers.
    I found this address for the hospital on their Web site. I wonder if they would permit payments mailed directly to them for Fister. ???
    Universitetshospitalet for Familiedyr
    Dyrlægevej 16
    1870 Frederiksberg C
    Copenhagen, Denmark <-- I added this line, it is not part of the original address but I would need it in order to mail internationally

Thank you,
    Elyse
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

We are sending prayers and love and warm healing energies to dearest Fister and to you too, Randi. We will contribute to the costs, too.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by sasvermont View Post
    Randi, I am so sorry to hear about Fister. Please do set up a Paypal account so we may all contribute a little something to his care. Really. Do not hesitate to do this. Of all the people here, who have been in dire straights, you certainly deserve the attention and contributions from us. The folks at Paypal will do the conversion of $.

I hope your boy recovers quickly. If he is going to be struggling like this, you may want to let him go. Not everyone can afford to keep a sick pet alive forever. You have given him great care so far. Now that he is old and failing, it may just be his time to say goodbye to his beloved meowmie.

P. S. Don't forget about that Paypal account. Sometimes it takes a village.

I echo all of what sasvermount has written and add extra love & prayers for your special Fister boy and you.

I am sorry your Fister is not well. I hope for the best for him. It is very difficult when our beloved pets are sick and sometimes they just cannot get better... and we have to let them go. I dont know that the time has come for that decision but whatever, you two are in my thoughts and prayers.

The vet who examined Fister called back and it’s very bad news.

The T4 test came back too high and his cholestrerol number is also too high. He has not enough red blood cells and that causes lack of oxygen flow in his body. She also said there is an effect on the liver and she mentioned an inflammation in the body, which could be due to a tumor.

He is getting fluid and food, but not through his mouth.

I asked if it would be a good idea to take him home for a few days and she said no, it would stress him more and she thinks I should give him peace, considering how old he is.

To do more tests would cost around $1.820 and she said that considering his age and that he is so thin, an operation he might not survive. So I was advised against it.

She asked me to ring tomorrow and think about what to do, or I could come over now. I can’t face it - I feel devastated and I can't stop crying.

It's the worst possible time to goodbye, since Fister's own vet is sick, but I don't him to suffer.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Oh Randi, I am so sorry to hear this bad news. Making a decision like this is devastatingly hard and breaks one's heart but we know you will make the right choice. All my love and lots of cyber hugs to you both.
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

Hugs

Oh Randi, it is a no win situation. BUT Fister will be rid of his discomfort. I know it is difficult. Most of us have had to deal with this and it isn't easy. Hold him, cuddle him and kiss him, then say goodnight. Oh my, the tears are flowing as I type this.

Cry, cry, cry. He had a good life. Maybe he will find John quickly.

(((((((((Randi)))))))))

Please let us contribute to his bills. Please.

Sas and her campers

Randi, I am so sorry to hear this news about Fister. It is a rotten situation you are in.
    Would any of your cat-sitting people be able to go to the vet with you for a bit of moral support?
    Wishing the best for both of you. x

Randi, I am so very, very sorry about the bad news of Fister. I know it is a very difficult and emotional time for you. Know that I am with you in spirit and completely understand the grief you are struggling with.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21