Thread: Good thoughts for Myndi plz

Hybrid View

Prayers headed out for Myndi.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent to Myndi. I hope it's nothing serious.

Pom, I don't know if you ever "met" my Sassy when your first came on PT. But when she turned about 8, I'd say she lost a ton of weight, nothing was wrong, but she was just extremely thin. The Vet did bloodwork and some other tests but she was healthy. It just happens as they age, sometimes it can be a cause of concern though, especially in a smaller breeds that barely weight anything as it is. Sassy went from about 12 pounds, to 7. I am not an expert on poms though but I guess she's about the same weight. Since she is down so much, it could be her thyroids, I'd check into a medication adjustment for sure.

FYI, Sassy only lived till ten though anyway, but Myndi sure has her beat already wow!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Alysser - yes - I remember Sassy - but only toward the end. Myndi had been as heavy as 12lbs in her much younger days, but she normally goes around 10 to 10.5. Of course my digital scale only registers in half pounds, so she could be closer to 9.5lbs which wouldn't be too bad. I'm thinking (and hoping) that it's just an aging issue, but the hair loss probably is thyroid related. I should know what's what after her lab work.

She has her vet appointment this Friday at 11 a.m., so I'll check back in with everyone when I know more. Please keep those positive vibes and prayers coming for my old girl.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Just an FYI - I had to reschedule Myndi's appointment for Monday at 1 p.m.

It has been snowing all morning and so far we haven't seen a plow, and my little car does not do well in the snow. No sense risking it - better to be safe than sorry.

So I'll be back with an update Monday afternoon.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

I just read the entire thread (my computer was out for a couple of days). I am sorry that Myndi is losing hair and some weight. The lab results will give you and the vet a good idea of what's happening and hopefully there will be a med to help her if needed. I'll keep checking back. I just read that her lab is now set for Monday because of snow. I agree that there's no need to risk a car accident so stay inside and be safe.

Lots of love to you and Myndi.We hope you have a good weekend and that the weather is okay for Monday.
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

Oh and I was here checking for an update! OK I"ll wait till Monday; not that I have a choice, lol!!

I'm back with Myndi's update, and happy to report that everything looks good. Doc said she is in amazingly good shape for a girl her age. Doc was only able to draw enough blood for her thyroid testing and not enough to do more, and she didn't want to stick her twice. She called me with the results this morning, and her levels are perfect and no need to increase her dosage. I read an article on Poms that said the old ones are very prone to developing bald spots, so we're just chalking it up to Pomeranian Pattern Baldness , since there is no other medical reason for it. Her stool specimen was negative for blood, so more good news there. And she has actually gained some weight - she was 9.2 in December, and 9.4 yesterday. The boniness is just loss of muscle mass which can be expected with aging, since she is much less active than she used to be. Couldn't do any test for kidney function since Myn didn't want to give up enough blood, but she's not drinking huge amounts of water like she was when first diagnosed with "aging" kidneys, and then put on the K/D food, and her appetite remains great, so doc will let that test go until her next visit.

So overall, she's great, with no serious issues to be dealt with at this time. Thanks again for sending out those PT prayers for her.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013