Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
Both vets agreed - hair analysis is excellent and accurate, best taken from the mane or tail, somewhere where it grows continually, and they can give you the history of any deficiency or toxicity as well. It is best to have a vet do the collection both to make sure they get the root ball, and so, say Princess Pony will hate the vet instead of you, who has to deal with her on a daily basis (think of how annoying it is if someone yanks a piece of hair from your head!) but this is often the best way to tell with horses, especially if there are not other gross symptoms. It depends what part of the country you are in what they need to test for, of course. Does that help? I'll email you the audio files when I get them, but wanted to tell you that part, in any case!
Awesome, thanks and I look forward to the audio files! Out of curiosity were these the holistic vets or the traditional vets?

Does it help? Sort of! lol It was more out of curiosity than anything. Summer went through a REALLY rough patch 2-3 years ago (issues with ulcers and a few other things) and while she is 200x better, she's still not quite right. The traditional equine vets I've had her to agree something's not quite right but, even through various tests, can't diagnosis anything concrete. Her chiropractor and message therapist brought her further along but I still feel like we're missing a piece of the puzzle. A friend recently mentioned hair analysis (none of my vets have mentioned it) and I was just curious how accurate it might be. It's a fairly cheap test so it might be worth a look.

I'm interested to hear if they mentioned anything about the process. I thought the hair was cleaned, incinerated, then tested. Apparently not if they are able to give a history! Interesting!

Thanks, Karen!