Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Parks

Dog Parks

I have seen others mention problems with aggression etc. at dog parks and I thought I would add something here.
    We have two chihuahuas they are usually very friendly but they do become frightened in a situation with several dogs, especially since most are a lot larger than them.
    Our park has two areas for dogs, one for medium and large dogs and one for small dogs. Everytime we have gone there, someone will have their very large dog in the small dog area. I asked one man why and he said that his rottie was very aggressive with other dogs so he likes to put him where he won't get hurt.
    Now, we never put our dogs in unleashed areas. We just walk around the rest of the park with leashes on and our cute little plastic bags for you know what. My first responsibility is to keep these dogs out of harms way and these places are just too dangerous for the little guys.

hummmm... if he knows his dog is aggressive, he really shouldn't
    be taking it to the dog park, much less putting it in with the lil'
    dogs. I've got 2 cairn terriers that are very unpredictable about
    which dogs they're going to take a dislike to, so knowing that, I'd
    never take them to a place where they're off the leash like that.
    I would be so upset if they hurt somebody else's dog, that I
    won't take the risk.

Par...

So if he knows his dog is aggressive than why
    is he allowing his dog in the dog park period.
    I guess it's ok for the little dogs to be subjected
    to his aggressive dog. Geesh!

----<---<--<{(@

MHMama,

I will not take any dog to a dog park to run unleashed &
    interact with other dogs I don't know personally.Even then,
    I think we run a risk. Pack behavior is not predictable and
    we run a risk of injury to our own dogs , or other peoples's
    dogs.
    Walking our dogs on leash anywhere ,allows more
    time for bonding & enjoying each others company. We can
    learn a lot about our dogs & they can learn a lot about us
    by experiencing a walk outside together. As you can tell I'm
    not a great fan of "Dog Parks".

P.S. Maybe the guy meant his dog was only aggressive
    with bigger dogs? I would'nt want to "guess" what he
    meant.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

We decided that we too will stick clear of dog parks. Not only are other dogs unpredictable but most owners think that a dog park means you don't have to pick up after them. After one incident where Ricky ended up with another dog's mess all over him, I was over it. I think that is just asking for health problems.
    One other thing was this guy with the aggressive dog kept coming over to where we were standing and his dog was doing that whole drooling thing which I know they can't help but he kept shaking his head and Ricky almost drowned in it. What a mess.

Most Dog Parks here in Indy are very well orgainzed &
    they charge a small fee for the service."Potty" pick up is
    mandatory. Many people enjoy taking their dogs there.
    I think here in Indy, vac. records must be shown before
    the dogs can be admitted to the park. It's a personal thing
    with me. I just don't think it's a good idea for every dog
    and I don't do it.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

We don't have any dog parks in my area, but they are trying to open a couple. I have wacthed that show on caple that is about dogs and thier people in New York. I think it's called Dog Park. They always meet w/dogs at a unleashed dog park and it looks scary to me. I would be scared to death my boy would just even be stepped on let alone anything else! Also, I would def. be scared of deseases, because you just don't know how responsible the next person is. Parvo in a chi,chi would be fatel! I just wouldn't risk it!
    Chihuahua Lover
    Don't Litter Spay&Neuter

How do I love thee? The ways are numberless as the hairs on the rug!

I was reading on the internet this morning that two puppies from that show jumped off the roof and one was killed and the other seriously injured. They were taping the dogs playing on the roof. Stupid! I also was watching that show when one of the guys' dogs was attacked by another dog and the owner refused to give his name etc. That just proves my point. No matter what, you will run across irresponsible people and our little guys can't afford a confrontation with the big guys.

Originally posted by MHMama
    I was reading on the internet this morning that two puppies from that show jumped off the roof and one was killed and the other seriously injured. They were taping the dogs playing on the roof. Stupid! I also was watching that show when one of the guys' dogs was attacked by another dog and the owner refused to give his name etc. That just proves my point. No matter what, you will run across irresponsible people and our little guys can't afford a confrontation with the big guys.
    OHHH I watch that show. Do you now which dog it was?

Felice, Zeus, Hercules

We have a offleash/on leash dog park and beach in my town. I don't bring my dogs there though becasue they are too unperditable. They are pretty large and could hurt a smaller dog easily. Felice doesn't like small dogs, Zeus doesn't like male dogs, and Herc likes dogs but not kids...so I don't go. I used to when Zeus was a pup but there were way too many dog fights. It's dangerous. Two dogs start fighting and then 10 other dogs join in!!!!

Accually a couple of years ago a beagle was killed by a shepherd mix dog there. The owner of the shepherd fled and was never found! There was a big upset.

Felice, Zeus, Hercules

I go to our local dog park, its about a half hour away from me. I keep a close eye on my girl, and make sure she leaves the other ones alone. They have a time out cage in case that happens, When we had the PT meeting, Kia got put in there with her mommy!!! The people I meet there regulary (Cincy'sMom,Amy, and her mom Diana and their dogs) are very responsible with their dogs. Most people are that go there.
    There is one case of a husky that the mom is very very heavy and only makes it as far as the picnic table and then bellows at her kid to come and pick up the dog poop. The one time the kid was in there by himself (against park rules, you are to be 16 unless accompianed by an adult) and Balto got to playing too rough with Taggert, Diana, swatted him and this kid says " I don't appreciate you touching my dog" and she said "well I don't appreciate your dog trying to kill mine!!" Most of the time if the dogs get out of hand the owners pack them up and go. I thoroughly enjoy going to the park and Keegan loves it. As soon as I head in that direction she whines the whole half hour drive!!! I enjoy being with people that share a similiar interest like mine. Keegan has TOTALLY come out of her shell since going there. Not that she was shy, but she didn't get to play with other dogs and was very people orientated. Now she likes to play with the other dogs.
    I agree tho, I would probably feel very, very different if I had a small dog, especially like Ricki and Lucy2!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

the park sounds like a good idea, but it is probably important that the humans take care in working out the details.

They did not name the two puppies that went over the roof because they were going to be introduced on a later show so were not regulars yet. It just proves what I am always telling my husband, "these dogs are like having two year old kids and you have to watch them 24/7"

OMG!!!!

I did not see that show! Poor, poor babies

I can't believe the owner of these dogs let something like this happen.

O.K- so why doesn't the producers of the show make sure something like this doesn't happen?

I'm so mad !! I just don't know what to do with myself. I wonder if we/I can complain to the producers.

Why did they even air this show where the dog was attacked??
    That was stupid on thier part.
    Chihuahua Lover
    Don't Litter Spay&Neuter

How do I love thee? The ways are numberless as the hairs on the rug!

The dog that was attacked and the big lovable great dane and her face was bitten and she had blood. The owner of the great dane who is a regular wanted the other owner's name and address but he wouldn't give it and took off. This is not unusual.
    The puppies that fell of the roof was during shooting of the show and they did not show it or mention it on the show. It was just on the News.