Thread: To clip or not to clip that is the question

To clip or not to clip that is the question

I live in Australia with bastet. She is an aby. Over here now it is summer and one of the hottest that I or bastet has ever been through. She is finding it rougher than what I am and was wondering how to keep her cool. She hates water with a passion so a cool towelling doesn't help. She has been sick from the heat (threw up on the floor her special diet stuff which she doesnt do) and I was told by a friend of mine that they get their cat clipped (not shawn as they do in vet's surgeries) during the summer to keep her cool.

Bastet is a short haired cat and was wondering if this is advisable?

Any suggestions also for keeping kitty cool would be appreciated.
    "A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot seem to find tidbits on the floor."

I have friends who do that with their Persian -I understand. He seems to feel much better. But an Aby? Filou looks for every warm spot most of the year but over 30 deg. Celsius he's looking for shady places.
    Of course it will be much warmer in your areas. But the fur is also a protection against the sun. And cats do not sweat via their skin.
    You could ask your vet.

Poor baby Bastet -just come here: it's grey and cool

ohhh that warm weather sounds good...just got 5" snow last night....the good news ...no school...get to schmooze w/cats and start a fire in my woodstove....the not so good news it is soooo cold and difficult to get out and about....cinti hasnt learned yet to prepare for snow...possibly because we dont get much anymore. i agree w/barbara's input along w/ckg w/vet as to how best to go w/this.

I groom cats/dogs and YES they do benefit from having less fur, especially if they mind the heat. I used to shave one of my shotrhaired (RB) kitties for that very reason, and he di much better with the short coat.