Thread: Older cats and diabetes

Older cats and diabetes

My first time posting a help message. I adopted my 15 yr old Speckles 5 years ago when she was 10. She always been a bit overweight and has lost 2 lbs since she came to me. Recently she has been drinking alot of water which leads me to diabetes. I have an appt at the vet's this weekend but would like to hear your opinion.

Speckles hates to be picked up, held or restrained in any way. A trip to the vet's office is very tramatic for her and it takes two to pill her. If she is diagnosed with diabetes I'm torn as to treatment. Giving her injections will be just as hard on her as me. Not sure whether I should let it run it's course and intervene at the appropriate time or?? I know that cats can live normal lives with regular injections and testing but she will be very unhappy with all the "pokes". Has anyone else been in this situation. Appreciate any help you can give.

slick

Hi slick and welcome to Pet Talk. This is a wonderful community and I think you'll enjoy it here.

I recently posted a topic similar to this one, so you may want to look at some of the reader's responses here.

Choices like these can be hard. I would suggest you think about how your cat is now, how she looks, acts, what her quality of life is etc. My mom and I decided to start treatment with our cat Socks. His quality of life is still good, he seems ok aside from the fact he has diabetes and he's on a special diet right now...due to go in for re-testing in 2 weeks.
    If you take Speckles into the vet for the bloodtests, and it looks like it's at the very beginning stages of diabetes, you probably could try food treatment, which is what we're doing right now. He actually isn't taking injections just yet, because the food the vet has given us is helping. We recently took him in for the 2 week check-up to see if he needed to start the shots, and he was actually maintaining at 260, which still didn't require the shots...which is why we have another check-up in another 2 weeks.

If it comes down to giving shots, we will probably opt to do it simply because Socks is fine otherwise and he's pretty tolerant of stuff like that.
    Really, the main thing is to take a look at your cat and think about how her quality of life is now, along with the suggestions your vet may give. This is a tough one, and my mom and I were so upset when we found out about it, but at least it can be treated.
    **hugs** to you and dear Speckles and do let us know how she is and what you decide. All of us at PT are here for you and feel free to PM me or post here if you have any other questions or concerns. Looks like you and I are in a similar situation.
    **hugs**
    Karen

Thanks for the reply Karen and the link. I don't feel quite so bad now. Would like to know the name of the cat food your kitty is on. Speckles does need a high-fibre diet otherwise she gets plugged up - poor girl and I'm sure she will definitely tolerate a change in diet (she's a little pig and I really have to watch the amount of food I give her).
    She has been throwing up more than usual (2 or 3 times a week) and after all that heaving not much is expressed. I'm hoping that's not a sign of something else going on. Other than that, she plays (when she's not sleeping), eats good, pees good and poops good. My 9-yr old white Persian, Max, continues to stalk her which does not help the situation much.

Love this website! Have been viewing the cat of the day for months now.

Thanks again
    Slick
    Max and Speckles
    xoxo

The name of the food that our vet gave us to feed Socks is Purina Veterinary Diet DM (Diabetes Management Feline Formula). It's new and it's a canned wet food, but it has been seen to help manage diabetes in some cats, even without the shots. You can only get it from a vet, so I'm sure your vet could get some for you, even if he/she has to order it. The wet food has been seen to be better for the diabetes control as opposed to the dry food, and it looks like there is plenty of fiber in it. It would be worth a try with Speckles.
    You mentioned that she is overweight? I was thinking about this, and if she went on this food, and lost weight...the diabetes may even go into remission. Sometimes weight gain can cause the diabetes, so either way...the food should be a good try! Hopefully you have caught this early enough that it's just in the beginning stages, like we did with Socks.
    Give your precious Speckles a cuddle for me. A visit to the vet should help clear up any questions and will let you know if there is anything else going on with her. I'm happy to hear that she seems ok otherwise! That is a good thing!
    Do let me know what happens!

Lots of love and **hugs**
    Karen

I knew someone who had a mildly diabetic cat that was put on the "Atkins diet for cats" (basically pure meat/fat) and the cat lost weight and went into remission. As in humans, diabetes can often be controlled by diet. It would be much easier to feed different food. Ask your vet about prescription diets. You may also want to research and ask your vet about the bones and raw food diet.

Good luck and welcome! Pet your precious kitty for me.

Thank you for your reply Smokey. I've changed the vet appt. to tomorrow (Wed.) night at 7:30pm. I'm encouraged by the information coming from this forum. The more I think about it the more I'm convinced that if a new diet does not work (I'll give it 6 months), I'll let it run it's course. Speckles will be a very unhappy cat if she needs to get poked all the time (as it is, she hates to be picked up or even held). I'd rather see her have one happy good-quality year than 3 or 4 unhappy years. We'll see.

Thank you to all!

slick
    max & speckles

I'm happy to see that you got an earlier vet appointment. It is also good that you know right from the start what would be best for Speckles, and you're absolutely right. It's better to have 1 good quality year than 3 or 4 unhappy ones.
    I sure hope it is early enough to try complete treatment with a prescription diet. Be sure to ask about the Purina Veterinary Diet DM since it would be worth a shot. My vet said it was the newest and most cutting edge food for diabetic cats, so I've been crossing all of my fingers in hopes that it helps with our Socks and hopefully for you too! So far he hasn't had to go on the shots, and I hope it continues that way.
    I'll say some prayers for you and Speckles and all fingers and paws will be crossed in hopes of a good food treatment for her! Let us know how the vet appt goes!
    **hugs**
    Karen

Well, Speckles was a good girl at the vets, but then, she was petrified. Blood sample taken and I get the results by Friday. I asked the vet about Purina Vet DM food and he agreed that it's a great diet if she needs it. When she came home she nestled underneath the Christmas tree among the presents. That's her favourite spot this time of year. She didn't eat much dinner but that's to be expected. This morning she was fine. Am doing some rethinking about the injections. If necessary I will give it a try. Will keep you posted.

slick
    max & speckles
    ho ho ho

Relief!!!!

Just got a call from the vet. NO DIABETES!!!! I'm ecstatic!!! The tests did show some damage to the kidneys though so he recommends a change in diet to either Hills KD or Medical RP. The new food needs to be low in protein and high in fiber. Speckles will be so excited when I tell her. She'll start on it tonight and I'll gradually introduce it the proper way. The damage is not too far gone so the new diet is all that is needed (and a lot of love of course!)

Love and prayers to all your furbabies out there...I'll be reading giving you all my support.

slick
    max & speckles

from sunny Vancouver, BC Canada

YES!!!!! I'm so excited for you. This does sound more managable. Great news.
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

YAY!!!!

Hooray for you and Speckles. Sometimes the power of prayer can be a good thing! Science Diet has a really great high fiber diet for cats who need to lose weight. Maybe that is something you can try. In fact, my boys are currently on it because they have become a little more round about the middle than they should be It works, so that could be an option for you! I wonder what the explanation for the excess water drinking is? I'm glad that the solution is easy for you both What a relief! Give Speckles a big hug for me!
    **hugs**
    Karen

She's loves it!

Stopped by the vet last night and picked up some Medi-Cal Reduced Protein dry and wet food last night. He actually gave me a free sample of the dry to try. Speckles loves it! (but then, she's a little piggie anyway!) It only has .3% protein but only 1% fibre. I'm worried that she will get plugged up again. She was eating Medi-Cal High Fibre but that has 10% protein and 8% fibre. So I may do some more shopping around to find a low protein food with higher fibre content. In the meantime I have some kitty laxative in liquid form that looks like honey. With a little struggle I can give her some of that. I'm really glad I joined this forum. With no partner or children (by choice - well, Max and Speckles are my children) it's nice to know that there are others out there with similar situations.

Love and prayers to little Nakita, Rocky, Tinker Cat, Casey, Socks and all other kitties that need extra help.

slick
    max & speckles
    xoxo

Glad it worked out, but...

This is just a PSA of sorts to anyone who every finds out their cat is diabetic...

You must either treat it or put the cat down. You can not let it "run its course", as untreated diabetes is a very slow, painful death for the cat. What happens is that the cat loses so much weight to the point that the body literally starts feeding on itself, and the kitty will starve to death.

I'm quite sure no vet would ever recommend no treatment as a humane course of action for a diabetic cat, but just wanted to throw that out there.

I am mama to a diabetic kitty, and I must say that the shots are no big deal at all. Because you do it at the scruff (a non-sensitive area), it's not painful. My cat doesn't even flinch, and barely notices.

Feline diabetes is a totally manageable condition, and owners should never feel like it's a death sentence. My cat has had a happy, healthy two years since his diagnosis, and we expect him to stay around for years to come.

I'm happy to hear that speckles is ok.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!