Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hmm, Black Friday Ponderings

No,I won't be shopping on Thanksgiving or Black Friday. I needed a few things so I went to Target after work on my way home tonight so I won't need to go shopping any where during my 4 days off. I really don't even enjoy shopping normally and I hate crowds so you couldn't pay me enough to shop when there are several hundred of other crazy people fighting over sale items.

Shopping in general: feh. Necessary evil. Black Friday is an invention of the devil.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I don't like shopping to start with, it's something I do to get it over with but only when I absolutely have to go. For Christmas shopping I wait about two weeks - the "early" crowds are gone and the last minute shoppers haven't hit yet. In and out is the only way to go.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

I think BF does have a useful purpose.

"I will be in line for the XXXXX on sale at XXXXX......."

Translated?

"NO, I don't want to go to Thanksgiving dinner at your house and I will not be hosting any kind of gathering at my home. I will be having a nice, quiet day - eating, watching football and sleeping the day away!"

-----------------------------

I have heard that on November 25th the retailers will be ramping up for Valentine's Day.

-----------------------

I have to laugh at the women who refuse to go camping, but WILL pitch a tent on the sidewalk outside of a retailer's door for a few days to get a 'deal'.

If I was married to a woman who thought that was fun?

I'd try to convince her that picnic baskets were on sale in Yellowstone Park.

------------

i LOVE crowds - I have been to tons of concerts and sporting events and even the rowdiest, drunkest and most obnoxious people were well mannered compared to some of the film clips I have seen of BF shoppers.

Go figure?

Like many others, I hate shopping in general. I did go shopping on Black Friday a couple years ago with my mom, SIL and nieces. Only because I'd never done it and just wanted to experience it once. We didn't see any fights or encounter nasty people, but I will never do it again. We woke up at 4:30, that's earlier than I wake up to go to work. No thanks!!
    My SIL and oldest niece are going this year. I'll stay home in my nice warm bed...........thanks.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

6. Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    -----------------------

I have to laugh at the women who refuse to go camping, but WILL pitch a tent on the sidewalk outside of a retailer's door for a few days to get a 'deal'.
    It was a man. Do you laugh at men who refuse to go camping but WILL pitch a tent on the sidewalk?

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    It was a man. Do you laugh at men who refuse to go camping but WILL pitch a tent on the sidewalk?
    I am sure he would. That's an equal-opportunity example of human oddities!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    I am sure he would. That's an equal-opportunity example of human oddities!
    A woman would not be able to pound the tent stakes into the concrete sidewalk, so it would have to be a man........

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    A woman would not be able to pound the tent stakes into the concrete sidewalk, so it would have to be a man........
    You have not met me in person, Richard, you might be surprised how much strength a woman can must, especially given proper motivation ....
    I've Been Frosted

10. Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Stakes in the group??? It has been a long time since you went camping, hasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    You have not met me in person, Richard, you might be surprised how much strength a woman can must, especially given proper motivation ....
    Karen,

I have the utmost respect for women, all women.

I'll have to pass on meeting you in person, though.

I can't afford to have anyone find out I got me arse handed to me by a woman........

(and pounding tent stakes into concrete is some stupid us men would go anyway, women have more sense than trying that.)

------------------------------------

Why is it not called Green Friday for all the money that exchanges hands?

Just got home from Thanksgiving with the family about an hour ago. There were LOADS of cars parked at our local Target, Kohl's and Wal-Mart and a group of people waiting outside either the Verizon store or Game Stop (they're side by side). Dunkin' Donuts next door to Game Stop was doing a land office business with cars in the drive-up and lots of people inside.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Black Friday shopping is done! I did mine yesterday - sitting at my computer while the turkey was in the oven. Got the same prices on line for the items I ordered, as people will be paying in the store today - plus FREE SHIPPING!!! No wasting my gas - no fighting the mobs - and I can sit back and relax and watch the newscasts of the fights and traffic that will definitely be occurring today around the country!

Happy Black Friday, everyone!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

When I was younger, we did more gift exchanging, and I considered Black Friday kind of fun. It was NOT the mob scene it is now. That was then...

We no longer exchange many gifts, by our own choice, as neither of us really like to encourage the blind materialistic waste of a lot of the gift giving. We have actually tried, with varying success, to have our family members stop gift exchanging. The exception being something hand made or edible. What Black Friday has become is insane and really just a disgusting example of human behaviour.

Small Business Saturday is a good idea. It supports strolling down the main street in your own town and supporting those local businesses - that's a good thing.

I realize we are kind of a minority in the lack of gift giving - that's OK. It's just important to us that people don't blindly spend money on things that we don't need or necessarily even want, just for the sake of the occasion. Spend money where it needs to be spent - on those who need it.

Happy Holidays.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pinot's Mom View Post
    When I was younger, we did more gift exchanging, and I considered Black Friday kind of fun. It was NOT the mob scene it is now. That was then...

We no longer exchange many gifts, by our own choice, as neither of us really like to encourage the blind materialistic waste of a lot of the gift giving. We have actually tried, with varying success, to have our family members stop gift exchanging. The exception being something hand made or edible. What Black Friday has become is insane and really just a disgusting example of human behaviour.

Small Business Saturday is a good idea. It supports strolling down the main street in your own town and supporting those local businesses - that's a good thing.

I realize we are kind of a minority in the lack of gift giving - that's OK. It's just important to us that people don't blindly spend money on things that we don't need or necessarily even want, just for the sake of the occasion. Spend money where it needs to be spent - on those who need it.

Happy Holidays.

What I did for a few years was to give my family members an envelope with cash money in it and told them that they HAD to go out for a family meal, on me.

When my parents were alive we would get a group together and pick a random Friday to go out and eat. I seem to remember THOSE days more than spending a morning of comparing who go what and how much was spent on each other every Christmas....
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.