Thread: How do you wash their toys?

How do you wash their toys?

Most of the dogs stuff toys have squeakers in them. I want to wash them but I'm worried the squeakers won't work anymore. So how do you wash them?

Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo

Funny you should ask. I just washed all of Casey's old toys over the weekend that Zoey plays with.

I put them in the washer on gentle. When they are done I put them in the dryer. I had to run them through about 2 or 3 cycles until they were almost completely dry. Then I lay them out on a towel until they dry completely. The squeakers still work too.

Yup, I wash toys with squeakers and they come out just fine. The only reason they wouldn't is if they are very old and tattered, possibly.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    That was never a problem in this house. Within minutes of getting a new toy with a squeaker in it, Myndi (aka Jaws), had it ripped open and the squeaker removed! Then I had to sew them back up, and it would take her a while to decide that she need to take the stuffing out too. No more stuffies or squeakies, tho she still has a toybox full of unstuffed body parts that she amputated from the original toys.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    That was never a problem in this house. Within minutes of getting a new toy with a squeaker in it, Myndi (aka Jaws), had it ripped open and the squeaker removed! Then I had to sew them back up, and it would take her a while to decide that she need to take the stuffing out too. No more stuffies or squeakies, tho she still has a toybox full of unstuffed body parts that she amputated from the original toys.
    Casey was like that when she was younger, but then she decided she loved the sound of the squeak. She would carry a toy in her mouth constantly squeaking it. Apparently my grand-puppy Comet likes to squeak toys too.
    Zoey doesn't chew thing up but her sister Sunshine does so they aren't allowed to have squeaky toys in their house.

Thanks They're in the wash now so we'll see what happens!

So they came out smelling better but they're still kinda dirty D:

I'm with pomtzu. My girls, delicate as they can be LOL, tear up toys rather quickly. I've never washed a toy for either one of them because they tear off the legs or heads or something and the stuffing starts coming out. Periodically I make a trip to Petsmart and get new toys and try to get ones that wont fall apart quickly but .....

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by kaycountrygal View Post
    I'm with pomtzu. My girls, delicate as they can be LOL, tear up toys rather quickly. I've never washed a toy for either one of them because they tear off the legs or heads or something and the stuffing starts coming out. Periodically I make a trip to Petsmart and get new toys and try to get ones that wont fall apart quickly but .....
    LOL!! In all of Myndi's years, I only ever had one toy for her that she couldn't destroy - tho she calls it rough play! I found it in a mail order catalog - it looks like and is the size of a baseball (so she can't get it in her mouth to chew), and it's a hard plastic. It's like a "bump and go" toy and it rolls all over, and when it encounters an object, it takes off in another direction. Myndi loves it!!! - and still barks at it and chases it around and tries to kill it! Even toys that I bought for her and marketed "for the toughest chewers", she could destroy with no problem at all. That's how she got the nickname of "Jaws"! I tried to find that baseball for another PTer, but have never seen one anywhere again - not even in the same catalog that I ordered it from.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Washing machine

I usually wash Prue's toys each season change. I toss them in the washer but do not dry all of them there. I am afraid some will melt. She is SO gentle with her toys that they seldom fall apart or get destroyed. I know I am lucky. She has toys from when I first brought her home! I bet she has 100 toys. Guess who bought 9/10ths of them?

I wouldn't hesitate to use strong detergent if they do not come clean. I would be careful with the dryer..... as mentioned above.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Sowa View Post
    So they came out smelling better but they're still kinda dirty D:
    Yeah that happens with Jamie's "most loved" toys as well. The whites are permanently brown, it seems, and eventhough a majority of them are completely disemboweled now, you can tell some of the nastiest ones are her favorites and I just can't bring myself to throw them away...

facebook