Freedom and Lizbud have outlined the basic "remedy" for this behaviour very well, as always. They have an understanding of behaviour that goes way beyond the usual. Experience and research. They both understand that each and every dog is an individual - a rare and valuable understanding.

However - I believe with a passion that the feeding of dogs has a rule. If I give a dog food then that means that I have already eaten the bits that I want and deserve as the boss. I have given them the bits I couldn't or did not want to eat so it is now food that totally belongs to them. To try and take that food back is wrong and the dog has every right to defend what he now thinks is his. That is just how it works. As the boss of the pack you decide who eats what and when they eat and they have a right to defend it once you have given them ownership of it. The idea that you have to prove your dominance or control over a dog by being able to take it's food away is unfair. You are the boss, you gave this food, in giving the food you gave the dog ownership of the food and the right to defend it. A food aggressive dog is, to me, usually playing by the rules and is in the right. Simple - put your dog in a place where you can shut the door for ten minutes while the dog eats, remove and throw any food left over and do not allow anyone to disturb the dog while it is eating. Dog is happy, nobody gets hurt and it is a natural and easily accepted method.