Thread: A Cat With A Salt Addiction

A Cat With A Salt Addiction

I just discovered that Nakita just absolutely loves salt! We were eating potate chips and Nakita was all over licking our fingers.

I can imagine that salt can't be the best for cats. But, is it truely harmful if I just give her half a chip to lick as a treat??? She doesn't eat the chip, just licks it.

Don't be afraid that your life will end. Be afraid that it will never begin.

Are you sure it is the salt? It could be the fat. Try with some pure salt on your fingers. I have no idea about salt but my boys sometimes lick frying pans in the kitchen. Filou loves to lick the wok even if I prepared something hot.

Edwina will occasionally lick salty things -- potato chips, dorito, or the like. Other times she has NO interest.

Since I am a Salt Addict (with exceptionally low blood pressure) and she only does in tiny bits -- once in a while...I don't worry about it.

My vote is for the fat or oil. Jan just loves it. We can't leave butter out or we find it the next day with little kitty tongue prints on it.

I'm not sure if it's the salt or the fat either, but Tubby looovves potato chips, Doritos, popcorn, Cheetos...you name it. He's just a junk food junkie. Unfortunately he can't have that stuff anymore because of his tummy. On the rare occassion I'll slip him a small piece of a potato chip though, and he gobbles it right up and comes begging for more. Oh, and he has popcorn during football games with his Daddy. It's so cute to see the two of them on the couch together.

I agree that a little can't hurt, as long as she doesn't get too much at one time. I've made that mistake too, and it usually ends up with me cleaning the carpeting.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

my guys love salt!! they must get it from me-hehe. I can tell it's the salt they like cause they also like to lick skin (which is salty to them)
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

i dont know about salt, but baby washy will jump all over the butter dish......i have to keep it well out of his way!

Nutmeg loves salt.. Tilly and Bassett don't really care.

My mom's cat Punkin also loves butter. She steals butter when no one is looking. She will even eat food with a lot of butter in it, like pie crust and stuff. Once my mom forgot to shut the cupboard door, and Punkin jumped in the cupboard to eat the butter.. eew!
    Last edited by Nomilynn; 12-10-2002 at 10:05 PM.

I believe that it is the fat and oils that Tiger wants, whenever I give her a potato chip or a corn chip. Once, I had a home-made bowl of stew, that I put too much salt into. I ate it up, and gave the "gleanings" to my kids. But they did not eat it. Yet, sometimes when I wake up in the early AM, Prince will lick my back.

..........wayne

Diamond loves potato chips, and former foster Mittens went gaga over Cheezits! It may be both the fat and the salt. As long as they only get it once in a while it should be OK.

I think its the salt, oil/fat combination because cheese is bastet's weakness but it has to be salty cheese. She doesn't eat the soft cheeses only the processed and tasty ones. I can't eat chips of any variety around he because she becomes increasingly impatient with wanting some to the point where she claws me just to get them!!
    "A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot seem to find tidbits on the floor."

It is the salt !! DEFINITELY !!!
    Inka goes nuts when I eat potato-chips and always jumps on my lap to lick ...