I agree with Freedom. It's not the dog, but the owners.
I was walking my dog through a fairly busy park and didn't notice a dark colored pit sitting in the shadows. I don't judge dogs because of their breed so I just walked on as usual. The dog lunged at my dog barking and going crazy. The owner wasn't even holding the leash, it was wrapped around a branch/bush. I had to pull my dog away and avoid falling in the pond at the same time.
I glared at the man and said "THANK YOU!" in the most sarcastic way. He just sat there and didn't move a muscle. He barely turned his head to look at me. He didn't even flinch when his dog went after my dog.
After I walked a few steps away I turned around to him and said "I'm not mad at the dog, it's not the dog's fault". But he was an idiot and couldn't have cared less. I was sooo mad! I felt so sorry for that dog.
It's those people that have given pits a bad rap. One of my closest friend isn't even afraid to express her dislike of pits. She is a dog lover, but does NOT like pits. It's very sad.
Anyway, I do not agree with breed restrictions. I know some Chihuahua's that are more agressive than some big dogs. And I'm sure there have been more bites by Chihuahua's but they do not make the news because they don't cause as much visible damage. Whatever.....