Thread: Upset over Declawing

Hybrid View

You're right: Lucy (their current cat) is not treated as part of the family, as ours are. I wonder, now that Lucy is 11 years old, what will happen if she develops arthritis and can no longer do the steps down to the basement to eat. Will she be confined to the basement? Or euthanized?

Since the 3-year combo shot came out, Lucy is not taken to the vet each year. I mentioned to my son that she should be seen by a doctor at least annually, and he got angry with me, so I shut up. The last time she had blood work done was some years ago; I was cat-sitting while they were away for a week, and I took her (and paid for it) myself. For some reason, she was taken to the vet for a "checkup" (I guess) a few months ago, and no blood work was done! I'm not surprised that my d.i.l. didn't ask for it, but I am appalled that a vet didn't suggest it for an 11-year-old cat.

It's good that my grandson is at least being taught some responsibility for a pet; I have no argument with that. The SPCA from which they adopted Nya is, I think, a kill shelter, so having a sort-of good home is better than the alternative, even with the mutilation. I'm hanging on to that thought.

Jessika, I fully agree with you: there are times when declawing may be called for; my objection is to routine declawing, doing it purely for the convenience of the caregivers who don't want to take the time/effort to teach the cat properly. Some years ago, I trapped stray, had her tested,vaccinated, and spayed, and adopted her out to a woman who had pugs. I specified that the cat was not to be declawed, and the lady agreed. However, after some months, it became obvious that the pug's protruding eyes were in danger if the cat swiped at them, so the lady wrote to me that she was having the cat declawed. I didn't like it, but I understood it and didn't argue with her.

Thank you all for your input; I can see that I'm probably over-reacting, but I can't seem to help that. I think at least part of my problem is that I feel I somehow failed to instill sufficient compassion into my son - but he's 40 years old now, so it is what it is. And he bows to his wife in this, so there's nothing I can do. I should remember what I used to tell my late husband: there's no point in getting upset over things that you can't influence. I just wish I could stop thinking about this.

hugs to you all for your understanding,
    Sharon

Lady-in-Waiting to HRH The PrinCESS Althea

I, like Sasvermont, had Mollie Rose and Casey declawed when I got new furniture. It was LONG before I knew what declawing was all about.

I know how you feel. All you can do is educate them as to what to expect. Declawed cats can develop litterbox issues, biting issues (since their only other defense, claws, is gone), arthritis, etc. Cats, when they have claws, walk on their toes. Once the claws are gone, it forces the cat to walk on the balls of their feet, which throws off their balance.

What angers me the most about declawing is the veterinarians who see it as a money maker. I always thought they took an oath to care for and protect animals.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Groucho decided he was coming home with us when he was 7 weeks old. My first call was to the vet to be sure this little guy got off to a good start. My very first question to the vet was about having him neutered. The second question was about declawing. Our vet explained the proceedure and it was very clear that she does NOT condone declawing unless it's medically necessary. One of the things she emphasized is even though he's strictly an indoor cat, if he should get outside he'd have no way to defend himself. Since Groucho is our first kitty I didn't know about declawing and was curious about it. After hearing our vet's response and what's involved, there's no way I was going to do that to our adorable little baby.

While I'm very much aware some vets will do it without a second thought, I pray they take this baby to a vet that will graphically inform them of what the procedure involves, the effect it could have on the kitty, the many other options available to avoid scratching things up, then either talks them out of it or refuses to do it on a healthy kitty.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Sharon - can you call their vet as if you were a client and ask what they think of declawing?
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Sharon ~ I'm sorry that they've made this decision.
    If they don't change their mind, and there is probably nothing you can do to change their mind, I pray that everything goes well and the kitty isn't in pain afterwards.

We've never had a cat declawed. When I was a kid, it wasn't something most people could afford. Once I researched it, I found it barbaric and would never put my furkid through it. But, I've never had a destructive kitty either. With lots of toys to keep them busy, they were never interested in destroying the furniture. And I cherish the gently chewed corner of my laptop case. It's the work of Silly Willy Wonkers when he was a kitten.

I'm sorry that they don't feel the way about pets as you do. Hang in there. I suspect you are more upset about it than the kitty will be. Fingers, paws and whiskers crossed that all goes well.
    Last edited by kuhio98; 10-09-2012 at 01:34 PM.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Thank you all for the continued support and understanding. I am so depressed over all this!
    I don't know which vet they're using; evidently, it's not their regular one (and I don't even know who that is), but my d.i.l. said she called around to find one who uses laser surgery. I suggested trying to find one who does tendonectomy - not that I approve of that either, but at least the poor little girl would keep her toes - but that conversation went nowhere.

As I said, I asked my d.i.l.'s mother if she understood that declawing involves amputation of bone; she said, yes, the vet explained that. When I asked if she was ok with that, she said yes. How can an otherwise good person feel like that? I don't understand - I just don't. Cause an innocent child deliberate pain for your own convenience?? It's wrong, plain and simple - it's morally wrong, I don't want to stand before my Creator when my name is called and tell Him that my furniture was more important than the living, sentient being He entrusted to me.

I mentioned that my own vet refuses to routinely declaw; the response was, "I've heard that." Well, geez - doesn't it say something that a doctor who stands to make money from the procedure refuses to do it? That ought to tell these unenlightened people *something*, but it doesn't seem to. Having a picture-perfect house is more important to them than loving a furchild. I don't understand why they just don't buy a plush or a ceramic cat; they can place it photogenically, have their perfect house, and not have to deal with litterboxes, food, vets - or scratching.

There's so much more going on in my heart than the bare fact of declawing; that my son sees nothing wrong with it hurts me deeply. It means that my example has not been enough to instill compassion into him; it means I've failed him and every pet he'll ever have. Or maybe it's just that his wife now has more influence over him than I used to.

In time, I'll feel better, I know - but not today. You all have been a huge help, and I am very, very grateful for your understanding and support. May the Creator bless each of you mightily for your compassion.

I supposed I should clarify and say, we may regularly declaw cats, but we do give the clients other alternatives to try before resorting to this as an option. This is an absolute last option at our clinic. And I do feel this begs repeating: I would rather a cat be "routinely" declawed but have a home than have it be dumped at the shelter (or worse, dumped outside) because it was clawing at their furniture.

I do feel it is a shame that many owners think that declawing and spaying/neutering go hand-in-hand and do it without giving it a second thought. All you can do is try to educate them. If you can't, then perhaps look at it my way... Will I ever voluntarily have my cats declawed? No. Do I encourage owners to try other alternatives before resorting to declawing? Absolutely!!!

facebook

Thank you, Jessica. Obviously, no matter what I say to them, their furniture is more important.

I've been thinking a lot about compassion: is it something learned through education and/or example? Or is it a gift from God? If it's learned, than I've failed my son and his pets. If it's a gift, I surely wish God would give it to everyone! I don't know the answer. it's such a two-edged sword: it's a great blessing to the recipients of compassionate acts, but it can cause such pain when the compassionate one is helpless. I still think of it as a gift; perhaps the pain involved is a sort of penance for whatever sins I've committed.

I emailed my son and asked if they could at least give the little girl a chance - buy her some scratching surfaces, teach her to use them, see if that works before amputating her toes. His response was, "We'll see how it goes. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this." NOT! I will never, ever agree to anything involving cruelty to animals.

Quote Originally Posted by maerlyn View Post
    I emailed my son and asked if they could at least give the little girl a chance - buy her some scratching surfaces, teach her to use them, see if that works before amputating her toes. His response was, "We'll see how it goes. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this." NOT! I will never, ever agree to anything involving cruelty to animals.
    Well...... he didn't just shut you down by saying "no!", he did say "we'll see.". So... maybe there is some hope? Or is he just saying that to appease you?

Sometimes when people have their minds made up... that's that.

facebook

Sounds to me like his mind IS made up.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!