Thread: uh oh mouth sores...

uh oh mouth sores...

Several days ago, I noticed that Malone has these two big bumps on the outside of his mouth, and one of them was bleeding. It is apparently because his lips are two big, curl under, and then get caught in his teeth. Poor pupper! Mark talked to the vet today, and she said that she has seen it before, but never has she heard of it breaking the skin. So I'm still a little concerned about that. But she also said that mostly likely when he is 8-9 months he will grow into his lips. If not, then minor surgery can be done to correct it. Meanwhile we are just watching to make sure that it doesn't become pussy or infected. It looks so painful, but it doesn't seem to bother him or anything. He still likes to chew (on everything!) and he doesn't whine or anything like that. I just hope it doesn't become very serious!!!

Also, we went looking for another parakeet tonight....nothing will ever "replace" my Azure, but Rilla looks so lonely in her cage now. Before we get another, though, I am looking for another cage because I will want to keep them in separate cages for a month or so, just to make sure the new bird is healthy and everything.

It feels so long since I've been able to post on here very much...work and life have me stretched as far as I can go. So tonight, I'm just sitting back and BREATHING!

Re: uh oh mouth sores...

Originally posted by Cookiebaker
    Also, we went looking for another parakeet tonight....nothing will ever "replace" my Azure, but Rilla looks so lonely in her cage now.
    Wait, what happened to Azure? Did I miss something? Aww poor Malone! I hope those sores get better quickly!
    Mom to Ethan, Sophie and Sansa

I posted about it in Pet General. "No no no no no!"

AWWWW! Poor Malone! I hope he feels better soon.

If you're doing it for Rilla's happiness, maybe consider getting another cockatiel. She will probably be very happy to have a birdie like her, But I know that she was used to Azure and she might be happy with a parakeet too. If you go to bird websites, they usually don't recommend keeping a tiel and keet in the same cage. They say parakeets, despite their tiny size, sometimes boss tiels around. When I birdiesat my friend's parakeets, her birds kept bossing my birds around and riding their tails. My birds hated that. LOL! If you get a parakeet, I think its best to keep them in different cages next to each other, or make sure they are good with each other if you plan to house them together. Azure got along great with Rilla, but not all birds have the same personality. And when you get your new birdie, be sure to post pics of the new one and Rilla too!

i'll check your message on azure, but i can already figure out what happened, so i'm sorry for your loss
    hope malone's sores get better and arn't serious

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

Poor Malone, best thing is though that the lumps don`t bother him. I hope, like you, that they heal up and don`t get infected. Hope too that he does eventually `grow into his lips` and not need any ops. Prayers for the ...oops, was going to write little sweetie... but he`s not little anymore is he! Still a sweetie though!

I think that Rilla must feel lonely without Azure and I am sure it would help you both to have another featherfriend.

Unlike popcornbird I was always of the understanding that cockatiels got along with all small birds, budgies (what we call parakeets), finches, caneries and small parrot birds. At one time, after Edge died, I was considering getting a budgie as another companion for Bonnie, never did though only because I don`t think Bonnie wanted or needed one. She was never that interested in Edge really, never seemed to miss her either.
    Edge was a cockatiel by the way and I introduced her to Bonnie in the same way you plan to do, although I already had a cage from when I upgraded Bonnie`s to a bigger one. I put the cages side by side for a week or so, for them to get used to each other as much as the health aspect.

Good luck, hope you find just the right little birdie for you both.

I hope Malone is feeling better.

Cookiebaker, where do you plan to get your parakeet?
    If you come up to the Petsmart in Vermont maybe you can adopt one of T-birds baby brothers or sisters!(I would recommend blue of course )

ChrisH, any new bird in your future? Or would you rather enjoy cleaner floors free of seeds and feathers etc for a while.
    RIP sweet Samantha
    6/26/88-8/28/08
    ----------------------------

Milly & Izzy

Oh poor Malone, he has to "grow" into his his lips? I know it's not funny, but I just couldn't help chuckle thinking of him "growing" into his lips I hope he doesn't keep breaking the skin & bleeding. Give him a big hug & kiss for me!
    I wish you luck on finding another bird.
    It's good to have you back & posting again, I miss you when you don't

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets