Thread: Cocker Spaniel with Allergies - Advise Please

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by MRichardson50 View Post
    The other option my vet told me was after she goes for a walk to rinse her feet off. This will remove any environmental allergies that she came in to contact with. I will start this as well.
    Also keep a (used is fine) dryer sheet or damp towel near the door, and wipe her body off as well, just a quick rub down will be nice for her, and remove any pollen that has settled on her coat!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Also keep a (used is fine) dryer sheet or damp towel near the door, and wipe her body off as well, just a quick rub down will be nice for her, and remove any pollen that has settled on her coat!
    ^This. I had many vets tell me the grass allergies Chester has are from contact, but contact allergies are rare and the grass allergies are actually from INHALED pollen. Most inhaled allergies present in dogs as itching, either feet or ears, whereas in humans, we just sneeze and have itchy eyes.

Be careful with the steroids and use them sparingly in short courses like you're doing. Not only do they cause systemic issues, but they can also make the allergies worse by lowering the immune system. You get a temporary benefit, but it creates a worse problem long term, especially if you use them for more than a 10-14 day course.

I haven't found the Natural Balance in the Dallas area at Petsmart, but our Petco stores carry all the flavors. It also comes in Duck & Potato and Bison and Potato, but those didn't work as well for us. I buy the largest bag (28lbs) and I think it's maybe $50?

Cataholic - I still read PT a lot. Probably should post occasionally, but I don't feel like I know anyone here anymore so I'm hesitant to do so. I shouldn't be, though.

Quote Originally Posted by micki76 View Post
    ^This. I had many vets tell me the grass allergies Chester has are from contact, but contact allergies are rare and the grass allergies are actually from INHALED pollen. Most inhaled allergies present in dogs as itching, either feet or ears, whereas in humans, we just sneeze and have itchy eyes.
    Yes, the dryer sheet/damp cloth wipe down is just an extra preventative, as dogs often curl up to seep, and will then inhale whatever's on their coat as well, or get it on their beds, and when they roll over, breathe it in.

Quote Originally Posted by micki76 View Post
    Cataholic - I still read PT a lot. Probably should post occasionally, but I don't feel like I know anyone here anymore so I'm hesitant to do so. I shouldn't be, though.
    Lots of folks here know you, and don't post as much, but keep on posting and new folks will get to know you, too!
    I've Been Frosted

My old dachshund had horrible allergies. He would chew his feet to the point where they were raw and I was frantic. We put him on a grain free diet and took him for acupuncture. Made a world of difference.

Praying that you find your answer. We always hate to see them suffer.

Food allergies are so tricky to treat. The key is feeding a limited ingredient diet that works and sticking to it.

As for allergy injections, some dogs come in once a month for injections for the rest of their lives. The testing leading up to it is expensive, and buying the vials for the injections can be expensive as well, but it makes a WORLD of difference in these pets!!!

facebook

My Cocker Spaniel has numerous food allergies. We feed him grain free only, currently he gets Orijen fish formula. We noticed fish and potato formulas tend to work better than poultry or red meats.

From my understanding, injections are doses of the allergens themselves and that is why his allergies are worse. The goal is for him to build an immunity to it, so it will get worse before it gets better.

Good luck with your pup! Cocker Spaniels are such a wonderful breed, I'm sad that they often come with many health issues!

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*