Thread: How we keep 12 cats indoors! FYI...

How we keep 12 cats indoors! FYI...

This is something I get asked frequently, so I am going to post this once, hopefully, LOL!!!!

My hubby and I love our cats, and do anything we can think of to keep them safe, and comfortable, and of course healthy & happy!
    I am very fortunate that my hubby shares my love for cats as much as I do ... he is the best!

When we built our home 1 1/2 years ago .... we had a window installed in our garage. (The plans didn't call for one.) This was added specifically for the kitties. We carpeted the entire garage, and hubby built a huge cat enclosure on one side. However, the entire garage is accessible to them as well. Hubby felt we needed to leave room for one car in case of some possible need to park one in their on occasion. The kitty enclosure as I said is fully carpeted, with built-in perches, and of course a cat tree (hope to add another for Christmas) and a huge carpeted litter pan cover.... which serves as another perch! We heat and cool this room year around, plus the window serves as sunlight and fresh air. We also have the option of opening the garage door, which lets lots of fresh air and sunlight in too. Don't think that our kitties are always confined to this kennel!!! They aren't!!! This is just a solution to having 12 cats, and me and my daughters all 3 having asthma, and not being able to have them in the main living area 24/7. To let them live outdoors is not something we would do. However, my hubby and I have a privacy fenced back yard, and made a special Cat Topper that keeps our kitties in and other kitties out!

My babies love to go out into our kitty-safe back yard and run and play, and bask in the sun ... but they also enjoy lots of fresh air and sunshine when we open the garage door! Plus, they are able to sit in the window in the house ... but they have to fight over those! hehe

Rather than post a lot of pictures, if you would like to see these things I have mentioned, and see that my kitties are indeed happy and cared for ... you are welcome to visit my homepage at www.kimlovescats.com .

No one on this site has said anything rude, but I am always prepared for the skeptics that assume I am just a "cat collector" because I have so many! Although it can be frustrating having to explain myself, I know that my kitties are very pampered and have the "life of Riley" as my vet says! Twelve is our limit .... we will not have more, as we know our limitations, on space and finances!

Thank you for reading this long post, and I hope you will visit our website so that you can see just how good my cats have it!

Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Such love!

Kim, I don't think anyone here would condem you and your family for having and CARING for 12 cats. I wish I had the space, time etc. for 12. Bless your hearts. I think I would like to come live with you too!

I have visited your web site and it is delightful! I shall go back again now, and look for the garage / cat condo you mention in this post!

Welcome to Pet Talk, you seem like a very kind and interesting person/family.

Again, welcome!

That sounds so wonderful. Also amazing that people with asthma can (or even want to ) have so many animals. I am right up there with 11 cats and the last thing I would consider myself is a collector. A sucker for a cute face/sad story maybe. but not a collector. I do not have the yard space for any type of enclosure like yours, but I have always dreamed of building a "roof garden" Outside the third floor window on the second floor's roof. A nice room sized fully enclosed breeze way. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ so it is not likely to happen, but a person can dream. So any way, from personal experience, I KNOW that your cats are happy, just from what you write.

Thank you so much, Sas and Jen!!!!!

Those kitties look pretty happy and lucky to me - first of all, they get to live in Tennessee, which I have visited and it is beautiful, and they have a "daddy" that loves them and would go to such lengths to build them that room and fence (mine won't ).
    The cat fence looks like a variation on one I saw on the Internet a while back - how very clever of you to come up with a home-made version. I tend to do that a lot, rather than spend the money on the real thing. My hubby loves our cat, but worries more about what the neighbors would think if we put up a fence (they've been our neighbors for 40 years).

And yes, welcome to Pet Talk!
    The legend says that Mohammed adored cats. When one of them was sleeping on his sleeve and he had to go out, Mohammed supposedly cut off the sleeve so as not to disturb his pet.

A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast - Proverbs 12:10

How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven. - Robert A. Heinlein

What greater gift than the love of a cat? ~ Charles Dickens

There is, incidently, no way of talking about cats that enables one to come off as a sane person. - Dan Greenberg

If purring could be encapsulated, it'd be the most powerful anti-depressant on the market. ~Alexis F. Hope

What an awesome enclosure Kim.

My mom suffers from asthma also but since my parents live out in the country, the cats are indoor/outdoor kitties. Theirs a pet door leading into the garage and cat houses on the counter.

It's obvious you love your cats very much. Great pictures!
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

You should be ashamed of yourself!!!!!! How can you be sooo good to your cats, with such serious health issues! Now, my cats are going to expect ten times as much good stuff from me!!! I already have six, and no health issues. I see it now, I will have to convert my back patio to a cat kennel!!!! I probably would, if my silly neighbors wouldn't call the police on me. Sheesh.

Seriously, you are a wonderful person, who cares deeply about your cats, your health, and your family. I hope your health continues to improve..and all the cats get a special turkey dinner this year! {{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}
    Johanna

Kim , you are the best !! Your cats are so lucky !!
    Your website is gorgeous ; I visited it last week , and I LOVED it !!

You have 12 very lucky cats. I don't think anyone here thinks you are a collector. We know that you love your cats very much and they are all in great care. If I had the stability to get another cat I would. But since I'm a renter 2 is my limit. But hopefully someday I'll own a house and have kitty rooms and can have more than 2 cats, because I know that there are so many special cats out there that need a loving home. Your 12 cats look like they live the most pampered lifestyle that a cat can have.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

such a wonderful home and lifestyle.....such fortunate kitties!!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH, you are all so wonderful! Of course, what did I expect for true Cat People!!!!

Kim, I think that is so cool what you have done for your lucky cats!
    May I tell you that you belong here at Pet Talk!
    There are other Pet Talkers with many cats like Jen and Wayne and we love to hear stories about all the cats!
    The more the merrier as they say.
    RIP sweet Samantha
    6/26/88-8/28/08
    ----------------------------

Milly & Izzy

Hi Kim, that's a great cat enclosure I admire you for looking for another solution, rather than get rid of your precious cats. I'm sure they all love you for it, as you obviously love them
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy