Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Unexpected Rescue! (Not a reptile!!)

An Unexpected Rescue! (Not a reptile!!)

Soooo...today was the first day I was *officially* the manager of my store. Among other topics of discussion was "should we get a store pet?" Of course, we wanted to, but so many things were changing so fast that I decided to wait until the new year to decide on a store pet. Sometimes though, life has other plans...Early in the evening, one of my warehouse employees wandered up front looking a little puzzled. He asked me if we took in animals, and I said no. Then I said "wait....why?". Apparently, someone was out back trying to donate a budgie to the Goodwill next door! Needless to say, Goodwill didn't want a budgie.

I wandered out back and there was a lovely little bird with a decent cage (It's 24"x16"x16", so not bad), nice toys, and a variety of sizes/materials of perches. Everything (except the little pink ladder) was very clean, and it's obvious that she's been well cared for. There are pellets and seed in her bowl and it seems that she likes both of them. So, we dubbed her "Iris" and she's going to stay! For the sake of keeping her transition as stress-free as possible, we haven't changed or added anything yet, but ALL of us immediately started poking around the bird toys to see what we wanted to buy for her later. She's going to be one well-equipped little bird.

I do have two questions for the more bird-experienced folks. One: She's not tame...How likely is it that she will tame down, and can anyone point me to a link with instructions for taming an adult budgie? Two: Does she need a friend? If so, how do I go about introducing a friend? Is the cage big enough for two budgies?

Here's the lovely lady:

Last edited by snakemama; 09-11-2012 at 10:22 PM.

Congratulations! And welcome to Pet Talk, Iris!

You can tame an adult budgie, you just need lots of patience and some time. For the first few days, get her use to you being near her cage, and talk to her. It doesn't matter if you are reading inventory lists or reciting your employee workbook, just get her used to the sound of your voice. When she seems settled, you can start working on getting her used to your hand, and start teaching "step up," - she may already know the command, you never know!
    I've Been Frosted

Good grief! She's a pretty bird. Good for you for taking her and good luck getting her settled in.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Well, miss Iris was still pretty nervous today, but she let out a few chirps and moved around a bit more. We made arrangements for one of our regular customers who has a large flock to bring her a companion bird in a few weeks' time, and my employees and I are going to go in together on this cage for them. I'm especially thrilled that the grate slides out of the new cage for scrubbing purposes. I have no idea how to get the built-in grate clean on her current cage....though it was spotless yesterday, so apparently her former owner had soemthing figured out.

We're all trying REALLY hard to resist putting a bunch of new toys and goodies in her cage and freaking her out, but we DID cave and put in one preening toy this morning. She's suspicious of it, but she'll come around I'm sure.

Iris is very pretty!
    Good luck getting her tame.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

Hello, Iris birdie! It is very nice to meet you! I hope you adjust very well to your new home at the store! I bet you'll get a ton of compliments!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quick update: Iris relaxed enough today to chatter and play with her toys most of the day. I also switched to to Nutrian cakes per the vet's recommendation, and she took to them immediately. Her well-bird workup is Friday, and includes and exam, fecal/gram stain, and some basic bloodowrk, which are being generously donated by the avian hospital across the street!

Very good! Hope everything turns out okay at the avian vet!
    I've Been Frosted

Well, Iris' well-bird exam went great! The vet suggested a few modifications to her toys and had me remove her Happy Hut (No nest-y budgies here!). She took a throat swab, a fecal sample, and a few drops of blood, and removed Iris' leg band. Aside from being a little dusty and dehydrated (Both being fixed now with regular baths), everything looked perfect!

Yay! I am so glad Iris got a good report from the vet, and she felt comfortable enough to have fun! Good girl, Iris! (Snakemama, do you, or does one of your employees, take her home at night?) I bet her chirping and bird sounds are very cheerful in the store!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    Yay! I am so glad Iris got a good report from the vet, and she felt comfortable enough to have fun! Good girl, Iris! (Snakemama, do you, or does one of your employees, take her home at night?) I bet her chirping and bird sounds are very cheerful in the store!
    We cover her up to sleep in the store at night, though someone will take her home on the nights when, say, the floor cleaners come in and spread cleaning chemicals all over the floor. I'm currently living in a loft with a Jack Russell mix and four cats, so it probably won't be me who takes her home those nights!!

Since we're not allowed to have a radio in the store, budgie chirps are a nice cheery substitute!

I'm so glad that you were the one to adopt her and that her vet exam went well. I look forward to being able to meet her in person the next time I buy some canned cat food in your store.

Snakemama, how is Iris doing in your store? I bet she's a hit!

Iris is getting much bolder and more playful! She's still not interested in veggies, bu she'll come around I'm sure!

Blog Entries
    Glad to hear Iris is coming around. Try cutting up an apple & put a wedge between the cage bars. My keets will eat apples but no veggies.
    The frost is on the pumpkin & I've been BOO'D by two pet talk ghosts.
    Thank you Fritz & Cassiesmom