Thread: Windows XP Question for my geeky friends

Windows XP Question for my geeky friends

I am finishing up a job where I could not have made more mistakes if I had planned it. Bleah!

Anyway, somehow the desktop display has a black/blank space above and below it. We (the client and I) have tried all the display settings we can think of. I've gone into the Graphics properties. She has done Factory Reset on her monitor. It is a newer LCD - Flatron W222xt.

I will be there on Thursday. I may re-install XP Pro.

I also have to run data recovery to retrieve files lost when the Files and Settings Transfer was interrupted by a computer shutdown (due to a really stupid mistake on my part, but I'm not going there). The FST folder has two DAT files in it, and there seems no way to retrieve a partial backup.

Thanks...this is making my head hurt...
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

It sounds like a monitor setting where your screen resolution is too big/small the display.

We've been through quite a few screen resolutions for the monitor...no difference. Ah well, maybe I'll just do a data recovery on Thurs and follow with an OS reinstall. That should do it, though it's pretty drastic. System Restore did nothing.

It'll work out. Thanks!

It sounds like the monitor itself, not the graphics card, screen resolution, or computer. On the monitor itself, look for a button that brings up the monitor options. You should be able to "stretch" and "shrink" the display to fit into the monitor.

facebook

Actually, the person had mentioned using the Catalyst control center, so I installed one. Then she removed it because she didn't think that whatever had worked before had to be "installed" - it was always there, right?

She phoned a computer store and he said she needed to install the AMD catalyst control centre (the program she had removed) and gave her download guidelines. Now her second monitor (a CRT televison) and a second set of speakers are working again. DUH.

Thanks for the ideas!