Thread: The good guys thread

Hybrid View

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    An Angelic Superhero
    He wasn't really a superhero; he just dressed like one. But then an opportunity to be an angel presented itself...
    By Troy Marcum, Huntington, West Virginia

Every kid dreams about growing up to be a superhero, but not many expect that dream to come true. My twin brother, Travis, couldn’t believe it when I told him mine had. “What do you mean you’re going to be Captain America for real?” he asked.

Superheroes had been important to me since I was a little kid. Travis and I really needed heroes back then. We had a difficult childhood, bouncing around from one tough situation to another. When we didn’t think things could get any worse, they did.

The one thing Travis and I could rely on was our comic books. When you’re a small boy, and afraid, it’s a great comfort to imagine you’re big and strong, rescuing other children from danger.

One night, when we were about eight, Travis and I huddled together in bed wondering if we’d always be surrounded by people stronger than us. “We’ll find a way out of this mess,” I whispered to him. “Someday we’ll overcome, like all of our heroes. You’ll see!”

With each other–and God–to lean on, that’s exactly what we did. Travis worked for the would-be governor of Washington State. I’d spent years as a professional wrestler and been awarded the Armed Forces Service Medal in the Navy for my work as a surgical technician.

Now I’d been offered an even more important job.

“I’m going to be Captain America,” I repeated to Travis. I’d gotten a call from a man named John Buckland, an Iraq War vet and a former firefighter. He ran a group called Heroes 4 Higher. They dressed up as superheroes to teach kids how to be a hero in their own right.

John had seen a picture of me from my wrestling days. I competed dressed as Cap–red, white and blue uniform, star on my shield. It was a big hit with the crowd, but it had special meaning for me.

In striving to become a hero like him as a boy, I didn’t feel like a victim. Maybe in this program I could share that feeling with other children. “If anyone can do it, you can,” my brother said.

I started “work” right away, visiting elementary schools, hospitals and community centers. John dressed as Batman, his wife was Batgirl.

There was nothing better than talking to kids one-on-one, having them look at me and see a hero. Courtney from Milton Elementary wanted us to visit her school on her birthday to teach everyone to be nice to each other.

Abby met us at an anti-bullying rally at the mall where she appeared in a tiara. Cameron, a boy losing his fight against cancer, said we gave him courage.

“You really have become one of the heroes from our comic books,” Travis said. Well, not really, I thought as I suited up for an appearance for local kids at the American Legion last fall. I wasn’t capturing bad guys or saving lives. The kids just thought I did those things because of my costume.

Our hosts at the American Legion introduced us, and John and I–as Batman and Captain America–took the stage. The kids clapped and then quieted down.

I spoke about some of the challenges they might face at school and gave some tips about standing up to peer pressure. The kids were taking it all in. John suddenly stepped forward and pointed out the window to a house across the street. “That place is on fire!”

Brown smoke poured out of the windows, turning black. The ex-firefighter didn’t waste a minute. “Call 911,” he told the room, and both of us ran across the street, followed by some of the bikers who were there to give an anti-drug presentation. One of them, Tank, helped John to kick in the front door.

“Throw a rock through the window,” John then ordered me. “We need to get some of that smoke out!” John went inside the house, disappearing into the thick smoke. “Anyone home?” he shouted. No answer, thank goodness.

Across the street the kids shouted, “Go, Batman, go! You can do it, Captain America! You can do it!”

John emerged from the blackness with something in his arms–something furry. It was a gray and black cat. “He needs air,” I said.

Firefighters hosed down the house. John laid the cat on the grass, and we exchanged a desperate look. Neither of us had ever performed CPR on a cat before, but we had to try!

“Captain America and Batman will save him!” one of the kids shouted. John breathed air into the cat’s mouth. The cat twitched. His eyes sprang open. He hissed angrily. Success! By the time the family returned home, their pet was good as new.

EMTs treated John for smoke inhalation, while the kids stared at us, awestruck. “You saved him!” they said. “Batman and Captain America saved the cat!”

John turned to me. “Guess this really was a job for Batman and Captain America!” he said. My brother agreed when I told him all about it. “Superheroes giving a cat CPR,” he said. “That’s like a scene from a comic book!”

John and I received many accolades for our actions that day. At the West Virginia Pumpkin Festival Parade we were reunited with Bob the Cat and family. The fire damage wasn’t nearly as bad as it could have been, and they were back in their home already.

Now people were not only calling us heroes–they were calling us angels. All I knew was, for one day God had truly granted my adventurous boyhood wish.

Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Good Samaritan helps jump start cars for free -- Illinois, USA

The cold can be pretty hard on our cars, but one local man volunteered his time helping give people a jump.

4th Avenue Auto Sales in Moline has been flooded with calls.

“They’ve been ringing off the hook, probably about every five minutes,” said employee Chris Sunken.

However, the calls aren’t for their business, but for a certain employee. Brad McCorckle, who works at 4th Avenue, decided to post on Facebook he would help out whoever needed a jump start for their car.

“(I thought) ‘We should put something on Facebook and go out and see who needs some help,’ so that’s what we did,” said McCorckle.

The post blew up on Facebook and so did the calls. On Monday, January 6, 2013, McCorckle started his day at 10:00 a.m., driving to several homes to offer his help for free.

“That’s what struck me right there, that he was willing to do that to give back to the community. So, I think it’s a great thing he’s doing especially in this weather,” said Robin Carden, a nurse who was stranded at home and needed to get to her patients.

McCorckle says it’s just the right thing to do.

“I was always taught by my parents to help people,” said McCorckle.

He’s bringing sunshine to people on a very cold day.

“There’s not many out there willing to do that anymore,” said Carden.

Portland man who wrestled bank robber: 'I'm not going to just stand around and watch'

PORTLAND, OR (KPTV) - Portland police officers were honored Thursday for their heroic efforts on the job, but the police bureau also left room for a brave civilian.

Scott Adams received the Portland Police Civilian Medal for Heroism.

In August, Adams was working construction at Portland Community College when he saw a man run through the job site.

He heard people shouting that the man had just robbed a bank, so Adams chased after him.

Police said the suspect, Frazer Piccolo, eventually confronted Adams, threatened him and even tried to punch him.

But Adams managed to dodge the punch and then landed a punch of his own on Piccolo, bringing him down. Adams then held Piccolo down until officers arrived.

"They were saying it was a great job (and) that if I hadn't taken action, there's a chance he might have gotten away," Adams said. "I'm a hard-working individual and for people to try and take something that isn't theirs, I'm not going to just stand around and watch it."

A police sergeant joked at the ceremony that Adams should stop by the recruitment table on his way out.

~~ Cats pay it forward ~~

During a stroll, my son pointed out a puff of black & white fur trying to keep up beside us in a weed infested field, I stopped him from heading over to it, "It probably belongs to one of these houses." Like most good teenagers he didn't listen. When he came back with the bundle his eyes were moist & his voice trembled. "I think someone's poked his eyes out." The barely palm size matt was covered in fly eggs, there were swollen red mounds where eyes should have been, it smelled like sickness. At home, a warm, wet wash cloth was the best I could do for a mother's cleaning, until Big Thor came over. Thor was a massive cat, we had found him in the snow by our apartment dumpster years before where his mother & siblings had frozen to death. He had bitten through my husband's leather gloves (winning his affection immediately). Now he came, pawed at the kitten softly. At first I was afraid how he might react to this new invader. With one paw on the little guy's head, he started cleaning & purring. With its’ mouth open came the loudest purr I had ever heard from any cat, much less this little tennis ball-sized matt. Thor became a surrogate, even allowing him to nurse his "Male" nipples at times. The vet treated his severely infected "eyes", after a month, he could see. Being quite the hunter, we named him Nimrod. He slept with Thor everyday even till the last breath Thor breathed, when he cleaned Thor's head and walked away. My nieces brought in a sick, abandoned kitten from their barn 2 days later. Nimrod grabbed him by the nape of the neck, he's cleaned him every day for 4 years. Cats pay it forward.

http://www.viralnova.com/5-years-to-...ampaign=aweber

This Father Was Given 5 Years To Live. What He Did For His Young Daughter Is Beyond Words.

January 28, 2014

One of the most touching stories I have ever seen was recently posted to Reddit.com. A father was diagnosed with a cancer that would only leave him months or years to live. Doctors said that there would only be a 8% chance he would live for 5 years. So, he decided to leave behind something wonderful for his daughter.
    Garth is 44 years-old and has been diagnosed with cancer three times.

becauseisaidiwould

He has been writing notes for his daughter, Emma, every day since she was in second grade.

becauseisaidiwould

Garth knows that he will soon die, but he doesn’t want Emma to go one day without a note from him. He wants to know she will be thinking of him.

becauseisaidiwould

So, he decided to write a note for every day she would be in high school.

becauseisaidiwould

He has written 740 notes. He has 86 to go.

becauseisaidiwould

The notes are just tiny words of encouragement for her.

becauseisaidiwould

Just so she can smile.

becauseisaidiwould

It’s unfair that Garth will be taken from Emma so soon.

becauseisaidiwould

But at least she will always have his memory and words to keep her company.

becauseisaidiwould

Especially the memories of them dressing as Jedis together during a superhero dance (even though the school didn’t recognize Jedis as superheroes).

becauseisaidiwould

To find out more about Garth and Emma’s napkin notes, visit their Facebook page or this post about their story.
    Source: reddit.com
    Life is rarely fair, but it’s inspiring to see people rise up against their fate and do something incredibly inspirational. Just like Garth. Share his touching story with others by clicking share below.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

http://www.viralnova.com/college-stu...ampaign=aweber

What A Poor College Student Did In His Dorm Room Is Unbelievable. Everyone Should See This.

January 28, 2014 Stories

Guo Shijun is a young man that has faced incredible difficulties in his life. His father became paralyzed during a building accident while on the job. He has to care for him full time because his mother is unable to. She was mentally disabled from a long battle with meningitis when Shijun was just a child. But, even though Guo Shijun spent the majority of days caring for his parents, he found a way to make it into a top university. That’s not all he was able to accomplish, though.
    Instead of giving up on his studies or leaving his family behind, he did something else. He convinced the university to let him keep his father in his dorm room.

EuroPics

Guo Shijun rigged up a special bed for his paralyzed father. He’s able to check up on and take care of his dad much more easily now.

EuroPics

Shijun’s grandparents take care of his mother while he cares for his father.

EuroPics

No one would have blamed him for leaving his father behind, but this son couldn’t possibly abandon him.

EuroPics

Guo Shijun is paying his tuition with help from his family and friends (approximately $3,400). He managed to earn a scholarship to help him on his way, but he doesn’t mind the hard work. He knows life isn’t easy. But even though he is struggling now, he still has hope.
    “I think once I graduate things will get much better.”
    Source: dailymail.co.uk
    Share his inspirational story with others by clicking the Share button below. More people need to hear about this son’s unconditional love and kindness.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Former Shawnee Mayor left stranded outside from fall rescued by ‘Kansas City Star’ delivery man

SHAWNEE, Kan. - Former Shawnee, Kan., Mayor Tom Soetaert lay in his garage for almost an hour before receiving help from the newspaper delivery man.

The 77-year-old man was taking out the trash Monday morning in the sub-freezing temperatures when he fell and could not get up.

He managed to crawl to his open garage before Jeff Stockwell, a delivery man for the Kansas City Star, arrived.

“It’s not my usual route,” Stockwell explained. “I’m doing this route until we find a permanent replacement.”

Soetaert’s relatives were glad Stockwell was on the job that day. “We are so grateful,” Soetaert’s daughter Julie King said. “Jeff was at the right place at the right time, and my dad is going to be fine because of it.”

Stockwell said when he drove by the home he heard something that sounded like a cat. “When I drove by the second time, I saw the garage door was open, and the trash can was overturned,” he explained. “I knew something wasn’t right.”

Soetaert was unable to stand up but he managed to drag himself into the shelter of the open garage where he opened the car door and blew the horn. No one responded.

Stockwell says after he pulled over, he could hear Soetaert calling for help. “I dialed 911 and with the help of paramedics, we pulled him into the house where they checked his vital signs and then took him to the hospital,” he explained.

“It’s a good feeling to know that I helped someone,” Stockwell said. “I’m just really glad that I followed my instincts to check out the situation.”

Soetaert was treated for hypothermia; his body temperature was 92-degrees and hypothermia is defined as a body temperature 95-degrees or lower. Relatives say he’s now alert and is expected to make a full recovery.

Soetaert’s family personally thanked Stockwell for helping their dad, and vowed he would never be taking out the trash in the freezing cold again.