Thread: The good guys thread

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by kuhio98 View Post
    Sorry about that. I should have separated my response to it being illegal and requests for happy stories.
    I sincerely, didn't mean it the way it came out. I can see how it could be interpreted that way. Please accept my apology.

No worries here. I just get kind of crazy when I see people on the verge of breaking laws. We had a HUGE re-feeding the meter story here years ago. It was huge...and while I always knew refeeding the meter was illegal, I never knew it could get as ugly as it did here.

I do not live in Boston itself. I lived for many years in Newton, and now am in Waltham. The meters that don't have any stated limit I am sure fill up after a while, but usually one can put hours on them. Like I said, it varies street to street, spot to spot ...
    I've Been Frosted

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Beautiful Music

I've been in the Cardiac Care Unit for a week today. It's been exceedingly boring and tedious. This morning as I struggled with the futility of trying to find something less than inane to watch on the television, I heard beautiful music coming from the hallway. Thinking it was playing from overhead speakers, I went to investigate and found a kind woman playing beautiful live music for us on a harp. What a much needed act of kindness to receive!
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Sharing a story that touched my heart.

One Smile at a Time
    I am a firm believer in doing all that I can to make someone who's feeling down, smile. After all, smiles can change the world with a simple act of random kindness. Today on the bus, I was sitting in the seat with my back to the window and in the corner of my eye, I saw a larger man who looked incredibly sad. Upon glancing again I soon realised he was crying. I saw his lips moving and he was telling himself very negative things over and over and he continued to cry. After watching numerous people get onto the bus and sit in every seat around him but the one next to him, he started to get more upset. I was feeling very sad just looking at his misery when the bus stopped at a high school. A bunch of rude teenage girls got on and the only seat open was the one next to him. One girl told the other to sit next to him. She said (very loudly) "eww I'm not sitting there. He's fat!" I got up and stood in front of her and said "but he's got 4 times the decency than you do" and walked over to his seat, smiled and asked if the seat was taken. He never said anything. Just smiled. He smiled the rest of the bus ride home. We didn't speak a word the whole ride. But we both knew the impact I made on him. As I neared my stop, I looked at him and said "you have a wonderful day, and hopefully I see you again in the future." I have never seen a smile as hopeful as this man's. Maybe I saved his life with just a smile, maybe I saved someone else's. But either way, I'm changing the world. One smile at a time.

Duke ~ The Hero Dog

A Connecticut shelter dog is being credited with saving the life of an infant who had stopped breathing. The dog, named Duke, alerted the baby's parents that something was amiss by jumping into their bed in the middle of the night. The dog was shaking uncontrollably. "He's insanely obedient so this was extremely bizarre," Jenna Brousseau, speaking in an interview with WFSB-TV, said of Duke's Oct. 7 behavior. She and her husband decided to check on their daughter, 9-week-old Harper. They found that she wasn't breathing. "My husband called 911 and the ambulance came here and it was because of our Dukie dog, who alerted us," Brousseau of Portland, Conn., said, according to WFSB-TV. "If Duke hadn't, you know, been so scared, then we would have just gone to sleep." Doctors aren't sure what caused Harper to stop breathing, but have said it could possibly have been because of acid reflux. The Brousseaus adopted Duke from a shelter six years ago. "He's the perfect dog," Brousseau said. "He was meant to be ours, and meant to be hers." Harper is apparently doing well now.

Because Strangers Can Save the Day

"Last year we had to put almost all of our belongings into storage," says Julie Godwin, of Miller Place, New York. "Then my husband and I both lost our jobs and couldn't pay for the unit anymore. The company was going to auction it off -- with all of our possessions in it! And then these strangers saved us. They heard our story at the auction and felt so bad that they bought our unit and gave it to us. We got everything back!"

Because You'll Never Regret Being Nice

When we heard about Melissa Morris Ivone's organization, Operation Nice, we fell in love with the concept. Morris Ivone started the project to encourage others to pay it forward with acts of kindness, and through her website she has grown the project into a full-blown movement. Share your story and get ideas at operationnice.com.